Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumor] Tesla Model S Facelift in 2016 !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To each his own, but I much prefer the model S nose to the model X nose. The X nose is way too plain.

I personally find the X nose to be more modern looking. Less legacy baggage with the faux grill.

It was certainly a shock initially, but the S version in the renders looks pretty nice to me. (The shorter front works even better with the grill-less design, IMO.) I certainly prefer it to my actual S nosecone.

I think this is an improvement:
Unplugged-Performance-Tesla-Model-S-Front-Fascia-Front.jpg

Opinions about the nosecones on the X and S abound. Some people like the S nose, some like the X nose, some hate the S nose, some hate the X nose. People seem split about 50/50 on each and it seems everyone has an opinion. (I'm sure there are fence sitters too, but they are mostly silent thus far.)

lol @omarsultan, yes the new Bentley really isn't my cup of tea either.

Saying that I'm not an SUV sort of person. (The Model S is too big of a car for me really)

My wife on the other hand really wants one of these:

MercedesG.jpg

I really don't get it. (I blame the Kardashians ;) ) I sort of understand why the hard blunt lines (of which the G wagon is the extreme example) are popular. It makes them look rugged and Tonka Toy-esque. The Range Rover, G-Wagon, ML, etc. are all pretty squared off. Even the softest SUVs, (Cayenne for example) have got crisper and crisper over time.

My view is Tesla are somewhat forced by the efficiency aspects into something soft for the X. I don't find it ugly, just different.

On the flip side in the saloon segment, I think Tesla timed it just right with the curvy S, a trend that market seems to be following. I do think they will be forced into some detail work at some point. LED lights, more defined edges on bumpers, a bit more fine details on mouldings, stuff like that. Interior wise I think there is more scope tbh, higher quality switch gear (with more texture and better materials) improvement in rear seating, better AC vents, somewhere to hang a suit etc. etc.

Maybe we will even get "grab handles", something passengers would definitely welcome especially in a car doing 0-60 in <3s ;) :D

Wise words.

Don't forget, the holy grail of all car manufacturers now is the Chinese car market. Angular lines are frowned upon in the Chinese market. Cadillac can't sell in China and are considering "softening" their look to appeal to the market.

Can't wait to see the Model 3 (yes I know this is the Model S forum ;) ). If Tesla is serious about marketing M3 to China, the lines will still need to be soft.

Obviously I said that on purpose to be a contrarian and to get a rise. People are so emotional and get their feelings hurt so much these days it's quite entertaining.

You "obviously" have a lot to learn about how to be a contrarian. Sarcasm is the contrarian's sharpest tool -- you really need to learn how to use it if your intent really is to be a contrarian.

And if you think we get our feelings hurt by your comments whose intent is to rile people up for no other reason that your own entertainment (and we are "obviously" suppose to know that was your intent) then you have failed miserably at being a contrarian. While your intent may be to hurt people's feelings, no one here really cares what you think so the the outcome is that you come across looking like a mean spirited fool which is the exact opposite outcome a contrarian is looking for.

Here's some reading material for you: Letters to a Young Contrarian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Offensive and judgmental? It's called reality. I highly doubt many female's are surrounded by "vehicle people", AKA "car guys". And what's so offensive about saying people drive Toyota's and Honda's?

Put down women? It's well known that women generally view vehicles as more of appliances than objects of beauty. This is not "putting them down". That has been shown in many studies. Why do you think the majority of women drive around in the most basic/boring transportation? Are there some high end/good looking/sports car loving women? Of course there are. But they are the small minority, that's a fact. Heck, Elon Musk even said they Model X was designed for women:

Tesla Model X Designed With Women In Mind

They even used female focus group while designing the car. Whether you can attribute it's lack of attractiveness to that or not is your decision.

As for your position that the X is "gorgeous", there are people out there that actually bought the Pontiac Aztec..

I can definitely see Tesla going the way of the "Apple" of cars. Apple fanboi's that always praise their products as the best thing ever no matter the products merits. Tesla fanboi's will praise the model X no matter how unattractive it is.

Throwing out controversial remarks with the intent to get people riled up is the definition of trolling. It really doesn't benefit anyone and just makes people less likely to listen to you if you actually do have a point to make.

I have more women friends than men and most of my friends have opined about cars to me at one time or another. My SO is the family gearhead, she loves classic cars and understands their inner workings better than I do by quite a margin, she's also sold on the technology Tesla offers. A high performance sports car will also turn her head. She is unusual, but most of the women I know have some opinion on the looks of cars and are concerned about cars' lines. They may not care much about what's under the hood, nor do they want some kind of 500 hp mid-life crisis sports car, but they do care about how a car looks. The Pontiac Aztec sold in small numbers largely because most people, men and women, were turned off by its lines.

At the end of the day, the bulk of the car buying public buy cars that are a) within their price range, and b) meet their needs, whether men or women. Women end up hauling kids more often than men and men are more likely to have a longer commute. So most men buy a car that is a good commuter (enough range to get to work and back and good economy) and women are more likely to want a vehicle that is a good kid hauler. In the US, parents are frequently paranoid about something happening to their kids, so kid hauling vehicles have gotten bigger. Around here most women I know drive big SUVs built on full sized pickup chassis, many like being up higher as well as the tank-like properties these vehicles provide. Most of the ones who don't have a big SUV aspire to be able to afford one. Most of the hybrid and economy car owners I know (men and women) have long commutes or need to take frequent trips. There are many, many exceptions and I can cite examples, but these are where the splits are and what I see as the reason for them.

Back a bit to the topic at hand, which is whether Tesla is going to make the Model S look more like the X and whether that is a good thing or not...

Opinions here seen split down the middle on whether the X is aesthetic or not. Not just here, but in the media too. The Model X might win some awards, or it may not. Some people here may be blinded by Tesla fan-boyism, but I'm not. I don't like the look of the X. Personally I'm not a fan of SUVs at all, but as SUVs go, the general lines of the X aren't bad. However, I don't like the front windshield nor the nosecone. IMO, those are the things that uglify the X. Obviously, some people disagree, and I have no problem with that.

You "obviously" have a lot to learn about how to be a contrarian. Sarcasm is the contrarian's sharpest tool -- you really need to learn how to use it if your intent really is to be a contrarian.

And if you think we get our feelings hurt by your comments whose intent is to rile people up for no other reason that your own entertainment (and we are "obviously" suppose to know that was your intent) then you have failed miserably at being a contrarian. While your intent may be to hurt people's feelings, no one here really cares what you think so the the outcome is that you come across looking like a mean spirited fool which is the exact opposite outcome a contrarian is looking for.

Here's some reading material for you: Letters to a Young Contrarian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it wasn't his intent. Those douche thoughts came from an earnest place in his head. He's backtracking now because he knows what he said was wrong - talking **** to a bunch of people who dropped more than twice an average American's annual salary on a car. He and his his douche friends (if he has any who drive thise cars and actually said the things he claims) get off on putting other people beneith with them with whatever means available. Terrible way to live a life, but, it's his choice.

Dude, you should just stop talking now.

Seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

Throwing out controversial remarks with the intent to get people riled up is the definition of trolling. It really doesn't benefit anyone and just makes people less likely to listen to you if you actually do have a point to make.

Bingo. Seriously considered adding Zybane to by (currently empty) ban filter because of his comments plus explanation of his intent, but I'm waiting to see if it's a pattern or a misstep.

The biggest issue (if I were ever in the market for an SUV) for the X is it reminds me of the the X6 and Merc GLE, both of which I would pass on in favor of the X5/GL. Of course what do I know BMW have sold plenty of X6's

2015 BMW X6 M vs. 2016 Mercedes-AMG GLE63 S Coupe - Head 2 Head Ep. 70 - YouTube
Model X did it for aero and didn't sacrifice the second row head room (and even has a third row).

The other two examples did it because they were trying to start a new segment (4 door CUV "coupe"), but they lose headroom in the progress.

Personally, for SUVs/CUVs I also prefer the boxy look in the rear, but I can understand why they did it for the Model X. Of course, I haven't seen it in person yet. Sometimes the curves do work out in person.

The X looks better and better the more photos I see and I have a feeling it will look even better in person.

The proportions are sublime. It is instantly going to make the competing German SUVs seem ancient by comparison.

They've done a great job with the X and I can't wait to see how they will next make the Model S sleeker with similar design elements.