Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ryan Shaw got his Model Y detailed and ceramic-coated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good video, I think this really shows if you want your Tesla to look as best as possible, don't leave it in the hands of Tesla and their body shops.. they tend to do more harm then good.

From personal experience I had the fairly common issue of a couple paint chips on the door edges where it looks like at some point the front and rear doors hit each other and they both got paint chipped off. I told the service center about it and they offered to have the doors repainted.. I said no thank you, no way I'm trusting a paint shop your probably paying very little to repaint a brand new car door for a chip.. so I just got some touch up paint (had to buy myself no less) and just touched up myself.

At the end of the day you pretty much have to accept what Tesla gives you (or reject the car completely if it's really bad) then take it upon yourself or a professional to fix any minor QC issues.

Reactions: Electric Steve
First off... Why are attacking a YouTuber that is truly trying to help others?!? No one understands where you are coming from at all. Ryan has helped us all through the Tesla Model Y journey. I think this video is truly one of his best as it gave everyone including you insight on how this work is performed. I personally have had this done to all of my cars and never have experienced the process from start to finish. So Ryan helped us all and actually showed us. No need to attack people that give you content. Please don’t respond you will not get a reply.
Uhm, I'm not attacking Ryan Shaw. I posted his video because I found it interesting and informative. It led me to update my post-purchase plan by factoring in the likely inability of Tesla to do paint correction properly.

@Electric Steve... probably better off deferring your purchase till several months after the factory starts up again and Tesla has time to address the QC issues we're seeing from the first batch of Y's to be rushed out of the factory under the worst possible circumstances imaginable.
I was supposed to have gotten my car over a month ago, so maybe I got lucky not to get stuck with one of the first batch. Having said that, while I hope that my car gets built this month or the next, and is flaw-free, I think that the initial rush is only part of the problem with Tesla's QA. Mostly, they just don't have any competition, so they're not financially motivated to deliver spotless cars.

Good video, I think this really shows if you want your Tesla to look as best as possible, don't leave it in the hands of Tesla and their body shops.. they tend to do more harm then good.

From personal experience I had the fairly common issue of a couple paint chips on the door edges where it looks like at some point the front and rear doors hit each other and they both got paint chipped off. I told the service center about it and they offered to have the doors repainted.. I said no thank you, no way I'm trusting a paint shop your probably paying very little to repaint a brand new car door for a chip.. so I just got some touch up paint (had to buy myself no less) and just touched up myself.

At the end of the day you pretty much have to accept what Tesla gives you (or reject the car completely if it's really bad) then take it upon yourself or a professional to fix any minor QC issues.
That's exactly my plan. Have Tesla fix the big stuff (if there is any) and pay someone else to fix everything else and seal it all up.

I’ve been a fan of Ryan Shaw for about 6 Months now and he puts out great content especially what he did to get his Model Y quicker. I’ve also learned a lot from his videos as he is very detail on his reviews. The paint correction he had done and all of the work that went into it is amazing and should be done once a year if you don’t have anything on it like ceramic coating. I’m going to check with the a few companies here in San Diego or the one that did my Xpel PPF and have them do a paint correction. It’s been a year and a month now so it needs it for sure.

Fred
I mostly agree, but I'm not sure that ceramic coating is even intended to protect the paint from scratches and dings. That's more the job of paint protection film, with the ceramic coating adding the water and UV protection, plus some wax-like shininess.

So if you already have Xpel PPF, you almost certainly had your paint corrected before the film was applied and it doesn't need to be updated. It's possible that there's been some damage to the film, but if it's minor then it's self-healing, especially when heated. It's also possible that the paint got damaged despite the film, in which case I would imagine that the film would need to be patched or just plain replaced.

I had my issues correct by Tesla and Monday I am dropping the car off for Xpel PPF. They prep the car before paint correction and all then apply the film. My car is white I didn't see any paint issues my QC problems where lining up all the panels hatch to hood. I am having the shop ceramic coat the film too the idea is to be able to drive the hell out of this thing without having to worry about it much.

I was supposed to have gotten my car over a month ago, so maybe I got lucky not to get stuck with one of the first batch. Having said that, while I hope that my car gets built this month or the next, and is flaw-free, I think that the initial rush is only part of the problem with Tesla's QA. Mostly, they just don't have any competition, so they're not financially motivated to deliver spotless cars.

Yeah, that hits the nail right on the head, Tesla is about moving as many cars off the line as possible, the first batch really was to get the MY out in the public's hands and boost Q1 numbers. Once the factory starts back up, there is going to be another huge rush to make up for lost sales.. maybe even more of a rush. Things probably won't slow down for better QC until Fall or more likely early next year.

It's a car, not a Picasso. I have to laugh at the thought of spending 10% or more of the cost of a car to "protect" it. YMMV.

But what's more interesting is the implied distrust that OP has regarding Tesla. Maybe he should wait for a legacy manufacturer's EV.

That's your opinion, to some people cars are art.. sure not a Picasso, but to them it could be just as beautiful and meaningful. I for one truly enjoy looking at well designed cars. Designers spend hundreds if not thousands of hours pouring their hearts out into their "art", so don't just dismiss it. For some people its four wheels and gets you from point A and B.. for others its the complete opposite.

I also don't think its a lack of trust the OP has of Tesla, its the knowledge we all have that Tesla fit and finish is below industry standards. That is just a hard fact. Doesn't mean you can't love and buy a Tesla though, you just try to correct those issues as best you can then protect your car that you want to keep looking nice for many years to come.

That's your opinion, to some people cars are art.. sure not a Picasso, but to them it could be just as beautiful and meaningful. I for one truly enjoy looking at well designed cars. Designers spend hundreds if not thousands of hours pouring their hearts out into their "art", so don't just dismiss it. For some people its four wheels and gets you from point A and B.. for others its the complete opposite.

I also don't think its a lack of trust the OP has of Tesla, its the knowledge we all have that Tesla fit and finish is below industry standards. That is just a hard fact. Doesn't mean you can't love and buy a Tesla though, you just try to correct those issues as best you can then protect your car that you want to keep looking nice for many years to come.
As I said, YMMV. It's a car. Drive it like one and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: mwdietertg
It's a car, not a Picasso. I have to laugh at the thought of spending 10% or more of the cost of a car to "protect" it. YMMV.

But what's more interesting is the implied distrust that OP has regarding Tesla. Maybe he should wait for a legacy manufacturer's EV.

I called my Tesla rep this morning and he checked with his manager and confirmed what I thought all along: what other people do to their cars doesn't impact you at all.

YMMV.

I wish Ryan would have mentioned how much all of that work cost. Any guesses?

According to his youtube replies - $990

Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 5.39.51 PM.png

• Informative
My comment before was regarding the spray on consumer friendly ceramic spray. I’m aware it won’t last as long as a professional grade coating, and I’m aware the professional ones have more gloss and water heading, but the Meguiar’s, Turtle Wax Hybrid, and Griot’s ceramic sprays are fantastic and easy to apply.

I wish Ryan would have mentioned how much all of that work cost. Any guesses?
Paint correction plus ceramic coating would be somewhere in the range of a couple of thousand, depending on how much correction was needed and what sort of coating. Film would would add thousands more, depending on whether you do just the front or the whole thing; something in the range of one to five thou.

Adjust all this for local cost of living, quality of the shop, and the cost of materials.

Right, it's possible that he got a substantial discount from the local shop since he has a popular YouTube page and it could be considered advertising, in sorts...

I'll just use my $15 bottle of TurtleWax Hybrid Ceramic every 6 months after I wash it, it takes about 5 minutes. Spray onto dry panel after washing, wipe off. It's really an excellent product. Combine it with the other ones in the Hybrid line and it's good enough for me.

There are lots of reviews on YT from Apex detail and Pan the Organizer.