Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sales Calls in the Model 3, Gas Verses Electric

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure why you’re only interested in sales people. It seems like you’re interested in people that do a lot if driving.

I will offer that if you want to avoid fatigue FSD is where it’s at. People don’t understand changing the drivers role from in the control loop to a supervisory role, but it’s much easier to be a lookout and not have the control loop of keeping the car centered in the lane going on. When you’re looking for deviations or odd ball scenarios the car can’t handle instead of doing the driving, it’s much easier.

Engines get "tired" after 125 miles? Yeah, you must be in sales to come up with that kinda BS :rolleyes:

I actually can agree with engines having a different feel to them when heat soaked on a summer day.

An example I’ll give is when driving my previous car long distances I would notice the following:
- The clutch would take more effort to engage.
- With the AC on there was a significant drag on the engine almost creating a stall w/o using more gas.
- Reduced power (slight) under full acceleration.

Needless to say I’m a gear head as well and hooked on EV driving now.

Reactions: wgood33
Any other sales people using the Model 3 out there? Please post your thoughts on the gas verses electric comparison.

My sales job requires long drives, 8-12 hour drives are common. I bought the P3D but did not pay the $5k extra for Autopilot because I thought it was worth only $2500 and I thought the car would have adaptive cruise (it did not!). So yes the Model 3 is superior for my drives:
  • I am not as fatigued. If I had adaptive cruise it would be even better.
  • It is quieter.
  • It is more comfortable except for the sun glare. This car needs window tint even on the windscreen.
  • The car doesn't get "tired". Most gasoline engines get tired (sluggish) after 125 miles, I can feel they want a rest. Electric motors are absolutely superior.
  • The stereo system is superior. Better sound and better song selection.
  • The phone integration into the car audio is way superior. I don't need a headset now.

I drive to sales calls in my Model 3 as well. Thankfully I don’t drive as nearly as far as you. Man, anything over 4-5 hours just fly!

I can tell you after driving across the county for spring break autopilot is the game changer. Taking out those thousands of micro adjustments from the drive make for a less fatigued arrival. With autopilot I’d drive my model 3 anywhere that I need to go. And it’s (autopilot) not even to its full potential yet really.

Any other sales people using the Model 3 out there? Please post your thoughts on the gas verses electric comparison.
  • It is more comfortable except for the sun glare. This car needs window tint even on the windscreen.
I do not have this issue but I am also accustomed to wearing sunglasses when driving during the day. I have found doing a windshield tint on any car to turn out to be an absolute nightmare for night driving whereas there aren't many street lights. Its like wearing sunglasses at night, just not as extreme :/ Although, you should check out the official Tesla accessories whereas they do sell a sun guard for the roof. There are also some aftermarket products that likely accomplish the same task. I might not have an issue tinting the rear windows, but that would honestly be more for privacy than anything else.

I have noticed that sometimes after a long driving day some of my cars don't accelerate as hard. I am prone to accelerating hard on on-ramps etc and have noticed this. 8-10 hours of hot day driving with AC on etc, it is real. In the past I have seen this on the track where "heat soak" effects the combustion. All I am saying is the Tesla is just different/better.

I could be wrong, but if I recall, as your battery diminishes, the car actually does adjust the max torque for acceleration in a very minute way. Someone posted an interesting graph here. So a car at 100% charge going 0-60 in 3 seconds might actually be slightly slower at, say, 30% charge. The problem I found mostly with my ICE was that range could be totally inconsistent based on the way and speed in which I drove. I have found that to be the same with Tesla. As they say, mileage may vary. I think what you are describing though, is the straight line of torque when accelerating and decelerating. You don't have gears any more, so, yes, its far more consistent in that regard.

Reactions: wgood33