Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sales tax outside CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m just about to pickup a used MS in Vegas but live in California. You have to pay sales tax for any car registered in CA. Either the seller collects it or CA DMV gets you when you register the vehicle. There are several fee calculators on the CA DMV website to help you calculate the fees.
DMV will not “double tax” meaning that if you can show you paid tax on an invoice or something, they reduce the amount you owe by that amount. If you are buying from Tesla like me, they simply charge you the tax based on where the vehicle with be registered. Private party, probably wouldn’t charge tax, but then when you register with DMV they will tax you based on what you paid and the sales tax rate in your registered county/city.
The fee calculator are very accurate so just google it and you’ll be fine.

I’m just about to pickup a used MS in Vegas but live in California. You have to pay sales tax for any car registered in CA. Either the seller collects it or CA DMV gets you when you register the vehicle. There are several fee calculators on the CA DMV website to help you calculate the fees.
DMV will not “double tax” meaning that if you can show you paid tax on an invoice or something, they reduce the amount you owe by that amount. If you are buying from Tesla like me, they simply charge you the tax based on where the vehicle with be registered. Private party, probably wouldn’t charge tax, but then when you register with DMV they will tax you based on what you paid and the sales tax rate in your registered county/city.
The fee calculator are very accurate so just google it and you’ll be fine.
Very detailed thanks! What are you getting?!

Yeah, I got bit by this when I moved here. Bought a new car in Texas before we knew we were moving, then got transferred to California later that year. Ended up having to pay the additional CA sales tax on my Texas bought car since it was less than 1 year old.

I was pretty salty about that for quite a while.

Yeah, I got bit by this when I moved here. Bought a new car in Texas before we knew we were moving, then got transferred to California later that year. Ended up having to pay the additional CA sales tax on my Texas bought car since it was less than 1 year old.

I was pretty salty about that for quite a while.
Let me see if I understand you correctly, you bought a car, then you moved to California
Why would you pay sales tax on a vehicle you already owned?

Let me see if I understand you correctly, you bought a car, then you moved to California
Why would you pay sales tax on a vehicle you already owned?
A lot of states do that. MA will charge you sales tax if you move in and bring a car you've owned for less than 6 months. The assumption is you knew you were moving and intentionally screwed the destination state out of their sales tax by buying a car before moving from a (presumably) lower tax state. Guilty until proven innocent, and all that.

A lot of states do that. MA will charge you sales tax if you move in and bring a car you've owned for less than 6 months. The assumption is you knew you were moving and intentionally screwed the destination state out of their sales tax by buying a car before moving from a (presumably) lower tax state. Guilty until proven innocent, and all that.
Wow. That’s beyond ridiculous
I did not know such a thing existed, I’ve only lived in California.

Wow. That’s beyond ridiculous
I did not know such a thing existed, I’ve only lived in California.

I did not either until I moved to CA. It was amazingly idiotic there wasn’t some exception where I could prove I was actually a resident of the prior state and had lived there for 15 years and wasn’t just trying to game the system.

They say California is one of the most agressive states about getting people to pay taxes, this was just one of those aspects.