Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sales Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't seem to get a grip on this answer so I'll ask here if anyone has experience...

Does anyone know if you can pay the Sales Tax for the vehicle purchase on a credit card?

I know tesla won't accept CC's for final payment, but what about the sales tax? If I could throw a couple grand on my CC for sales tax, why not right?

I'll be taking delivery in a week or so for a used model S so I'll find out definitively then, but just thought I'd ask and see if anyone has any experience with this or has tried before, thanks!

Why isn’t sales tax factored into your MVPA?

If you are buying out of state you would pay it during registration at the DMV and I don’t think they take credit cards.

So in either case; the answer is likely “no”

I was watching the above video (Timestamp 1:50-2:10) where he talks about putting sales tax and fees on a credit card, which really confused me and brought me to ask this question.

I think it is? And I'm purchasing in-state
They may not accept multiple sources of payment for multiple line items. You would typically bring them certified funds for the entire amount.

You could try to get away with bringing them a check for the amount minus the sales tax and ask to put it on a CC but you should probably get a second certified check to cover the tax in the event they say “no”.

They may not accept multiple sources of payment for multiple line items. You would typically bring them certified funds for the entire amount.

You could try to get away with bringing them a check for the amount minus the sales tax and ask to put it on a CC but you should probably get a second certified check to cover the tax in the event they say “no”.

Interesting... I'm financing through Tesla via wells fargo with about a 20% down payment + tax/fees ... so i guess I'll just have to find out on the day of

Two things of note (not sure if they help):

1. When I bought my Tesla, I planned to put down $5,000 (the $2,500 deposit plus another $2,500). This was factored into the MVPA which showed a balance due of $2,500 after the loan was funded which I paid online with a credit card prior to taking delivery. Not sure if you can do the same thing or not but I would reach out to your delivery advisor.

2. In my state (Delaware), no sales tax per se but there is what they call document fees which amount to the same thing. I was able to pay those at the DMV with a credit card when I registered the car.