Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging (off peak hours) on an Ioniq 5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our MYLR is in the shop (rear ended), so I rented an Ionic 5.
It's rather annoying how easy they make it to charge only during super-off-peak. I have to install a 3rd party app to do this simple thing on my Tesla.
1718779098059.png

Our MYLR is in the shop (rear ended), so I rented an Ionic 5.
It's rather annoying how easy they make it to charge only during super-off-peak. I have to install a 3rd party app to do this simple thing on my Tesla.
View attachment 1057742

That has significant limitations compared to Tesla's options.

For off-peak charging, in a Tesla, all you have to do is specify off-peak start time. That's it.

In an unrelated, but often compared option. Departure time is a single number denoting your departure time and is intended to condition the vehicle optimally for travel. This was mainly added for vehicle in colder climates where it is advantageous to warm the battery off of commercial sources.

Don't assume that departure time is off-peak end, they have nothing to do with each other.

So Tesla is easier to configure and has more capability.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
I set the off-peak end time and departure time. Car is always done at the earlier of those.

The only use I could see in setting both start and end time is if you can't charge fast enough to finish in the allotted time, and you'd rather stop short than hit the desired SoC.

Otherwise just set the beginning or end time and be done with it.

I set the off-peak end time and departure time. Car is always done at the earlier of those.

The only use I could see in setting both start and end time is if you can't charge fast enough to finish in the allotted time, and you'd rather stop short than hit the desired SoC.

Otherwise just set the beginning or end time and be done with it.
That really isn't the correct use. People periodically have problems doing it this way.
Just setting the off-peak is all that is needed.

You do? I just set mine to charge at midnight when my super off peak starts. What’s hard about that?
Unless something changed in the past 6 months, I've never been able to tell it to "only charge between 12am and 6am." I have to use Optiwatt for that. My understanding is you can only set a "Start charging" time OR a "Departure" time.
Please help me understand how you accomplished this.

Reactions: E90alex
Unless something changed in the past 6 months, I've never been able to tell it to "only charge between 12am and 6am." I have to use Optiwatt for that. My understanding is you can only set a "Start charging" time OR a "Departure" time.
Please help me understand how you accomplished this.
I just don't worry if charging extends past 6am. My charging almost always finishes before 6am. Do you have a slow charger?

You are correct, there is no native way to set both an off peak start and end time in the car with Tesla. Almost every other EV and PHEV has this basic capability.

HOWEVER, if you have a Tesla wall connector added to the app, you can set such a window for the wall connector.

Attachments

• IMG_6560.png
    IMG_6560.png
    612.1 KB · Views: 2