Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratch from 18 wheeler tire debris, only owned for a week. Please advise should I buy paint kit or go to body shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks, I have only owned this beautiful car for 2 weeks, and nicked some 18 wheeler tire debris that had wires sticking out. Please should I take to body shop or get the repair kit.
So if I get a kit, I should wash the car with what? Second, I am not handy with tools, yet so if the paint needs buffing not sure how to do that.
Third if I take to a body shop how much, plus would have PPF prevented this or not?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1456.jpg
    IMG_1456.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 99
Sorry to hear about that. Sadly it looks like it went down into the plastic. Personally, I'd just leave it for a while and wait for something worse and then maybe seek a body shop and do it out of pocket. If it really bothers you, try the touch up kit and see how good you can get it yourself. Take your time, prep well, and it might come out good enough.

Reactions: fholbert
No one can answer that for you, depends on your expectations. If you want perfect go to a reputable body shop unless you have experience. If you’re willing to gamble on your skills, DIY, we have no idea what your aptitude might be. I kinda like the suggestion above, wait and see until you just can’t live with it.

Reactions: gaswalla
Hello folks, I have only owned this beautiful car for 2 weeks, and nicked some 18 wheeler tire debris that had wires sticking out. Please should I take to body shop or get the repair kit.
So if I get a kit, I should wash the car with what? Second, I am not handy with tools, yet so if the paint needs buffing not sure how to do that.
Third if I take to a body shop how much, plus would have PPF prevented this or not?
Thanks
I tried to touch up a paint scratch once, it looked better before I tried to fix it.

Let me make a suggestion that might be good enough for now. Look for a white crayon or go to home depot and get one of their white furniture repair "crayons". You might find one close enough in color that you are good with it for now. Easy to remove if you ever want to repaint that area.

You might be surprised how well this can work. It holds up pretty well and easy to do it again. Just don't high-pressure wash directly on it.

Reactions: Midpack