Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratch removal recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

msan

Jan 15, 2019
NE
I went for a state inspection at a local Acura dealership yesterday. They asked if I'd like the free car wash and vacuum. I said yes. That's a big mistake!

This morning, after I parked my car in a outdoor under the sun, I noticed micro-scratches all over the car!!

Moral of the story: DO NOT accept free car wash unless you are absolutely sure it's touchless car wash.

My questions:
1. Do those scratch removers sold at auto part stores work on this type of scratches? Any recommendation?
2. I have never used an auto detailing service before. Can a detailer get the scratches out? If so, what service is it called, and what to look out for in order not to be taken for a ride?

Thanks!

Yes a proper detail shop can take care of this. If you have a dark paint color, it’s easy to get the swirls back if you don’t wash with good technique. Look on yelp for a good detailer and they can assess, quote you and then likely fix it.

To remove the scratches, you can do it yourself with the proper equipment, products and time. If you don’t have time, let a professional detailer do a one step paint correction if the scratches aren’t deep.

If you decide to do it yourself, you’ll need to rewash your car, decontaminate the finish with a claybar system and iron oxide fallout remover, and then use a dual action/random orbital polisher with a polishing compound like Meguiars M205. I highly recommend putting on either a wax or sealant once you finish removing the scratches. All these steps can take a whole weekend to do properly.

You can get all this stuff at good prices on amazon. You can get away with a Harbor Freight DA polisher if you are on a budget.

If you let a detailer remove the scratches, ask what the cost is for one-step and two-step paint correction and what they charge for a sealant or wax applied afterwards.

1-step means they go over the paint once with a polisher and 2-step means they use a diff polishing compound to get out more scratches, marring, holograms, etc.

Last edited: