Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratched on passenger side front door by shopping cart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was parked and all of the sudden a gust of wind blew a shopping cart towards my car. From the video, it looks like it hit the side door panel before it hit the mirror. Any suggestions on if this is something I can touch up using the Tesla touch up paint kit or the door needs to get repaired then repainted?
From what I can feel with my fingernails, it’s pretty deep. And there is a slightest dent. I’m ok with the slight dent if I can flawlessly touch it up without looking like 💩

Attachments

• CF04DB7A-DAC9-404C-B555-464C10250FE9.jpeg
    CF04DB7A-DAC9-404C-B555-464C10250FE9.jpeg
    479.1 KB · Views: 408
Small dents like that, a Paintless Dent Repair service can probably fix.

Also for white marks, sometimes the damage is on the clear coat and much of it can be buffed out. It may not necessarily have damaged the color coat.

I was parked and all of the sudden a gust of wind blew a shopping cart towards my car. From the video, it looks like it hit the side door panel before it hit the mirror. Any suggestions on if this is something I can touch up using the Tesla touch up paint kit or the door needs to get repaired then repainted?
From what I can feel with my fingernails, it’s pretty deep. And there is a slightest dent. I’m ok with the slight dent if I can flawlessly touch it up without looking like 💩

If you can catch your fingernail on there then it's deep and based on the pic it's through the paint. It's gonna have to be spot painted and blended. Couple hundred bucks maybe?

Reactions: AJ..
Before having it painted, you could try Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 . I have seen this product work magic on scratches, even some that appear pretty deep.

Here is a youtube review of this product. If you fast forward to time mark 2:14, you can see this product remove a small scratch in real time.

Reactions: AJ..
Before having it painted, you could try Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 . I have seen this product work magic on scratches, even some that appear pretty deep.

Here is a youtube review of this product. If you fast forward to time mark 2:14, you can see this product remove a small scratch in real time.

Yeah that was a scuff or paint transfer. If that scratch he has can get a fingernail into and is through the paint, there's no magic solution in a bottle going to fix it. If it's actually not that bad, then you could for sure take a DA to it with any decent polish and finish it up.

Been detailing for over 10 years and I have far too much money in product/polishers etc. If it's through the paint, it's gonna need repainted. With that said, if any of you are near me and have minor paint issues, I'd be happy to try and take care of them for you.

Oh I forgot to mention, I think it will make a difference. I have ceramic coating on the paint already. Will I have to sand that area down and try to touch up and blend the paint in?

The ceramic coating is irrelevant, it's an LSP and doesn't need to be sanded off. Don't try and put touch up paint on that, it'll look like crap. Since you don't have the tools to take care of it even if it is a lighter scratch, you should really take it to a body shop you trust and have them evaluate it. If they can buff it out, they will and charge you accordingly. If not, they'll be the ones that have to paint and blend the panel, it's not the same as you touch up painting it. Either way it shouldn't be crazy expensive for them to take care of it.

*When they repaint it, you'll just re-coat that door with whatever coating you want.

Reactions: Mark57