Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumped garage door frame, $5k repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Garage door frame, not the door itself. I know half the people here hate "how much will this cost to repair", so I'll do you all a favor and say I already got an estimate at ~$5k from the one Tesla approved collision place in this area. Daughter was backing car out and cut the wheel. Repair guy said they need to replace only the quarter panel and can fix up the bumper. The impacted quarter itself got pushed back a little so alignment with the frunk is slightly off.

TBH I saw a guy on youtube do a masterful job of a far nastier dent than this on a rivian. I wonder if a dent pro could pull this out and get it 99% good enough. I'm going to see if the local paintless dent repair guy is interested (although it obvi needs some touch up paint). Small rim rash as well from hitting the wall.

IMG-6361.jpg

IMG-6362.jpg

Two years ago a big SUV backed into my M3 while going about 15 mph. I took it to the nearest Tesla approved collision center. They had to replace both the left and right front quarter panels, both headlights, the front bumper, the crash cans behind the bumper, the frunk lid and numerous other parts. The total came to $9,628. I would seriously question that estimate you got for $5000 for such little damage.

Reactions: EatsShoots
Two years ago a big SUV backed into my M3 while going about 15 mph. I took it to the nearest Tesla approved collision center. They had to replace both the left and right front quarter panels, both headlights, the front bumper, the crash cans behind the bumper, the frunk lid and numerous other parts. The total came to $9,628. I would seriously question that estimate you got for $5000 for such little damage.
Yeah tbh I'm looking at it up close and if it wasn't a brand new car I'd absolutely not pay $5k for it. I have insurance obviously, but my rates are already through the roof on account of two teen drivers and I do not want to give an excuse to raise further. I'm holding out hope the dent guy can get me sorted out.

Garage door frame, not the door itself. I know half the people here hate "how much will this cost to repair", so I'll do you all a favor and say I already got an estimate at ~$5k from the one Tesla approved collision place in this area. Daughter was backing car out and cut the wheel. Repair guy said they need to replace only the quarter panel and can fix up the bumper. The impacted quarter itself got pushed back a little so alignment with the frunk is slightly off.

TBH I saw a guy on youtube do a masterful job of a far nastier dent than this on a rivian. I wonder if a dent pro could pull this out and get it 99% good enough. I'm going to see if the local paintless dent repair guy is interested (although it obvi needs some touch up paint). Small rim rash as well from hitting the wall.

View attachment 981424

View attachment 981425
If you are good with DIY you can buy a body colored front fender directly from Tesla for much less and replace yourself. Just do a parts only request in the Service section of the app (choose the "other" category). You can also ask Tesla the labor cost for them to replace the front fender.

Last edited:
$5K!!!!
I hope you aren't getting taken for a ride...
Possibly not…I had a paintless dent repair quote out and he wants $2600. A significant amount of that is not just pulling the dent out but also adjusting the quarter panel back 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch into place as it was shifted.

I will call insurance today and ask them what they believe the impact of this claim will be on my rates, then decide if I’m going to make a claim or just pay out-of-pocket the 2600. I am inclined to go to the approach of the Paintless dent repair, because 5000 for this just feels crazy.

Possibly not…I had a paintless dent repair quote out and he wants $2600. A significant amount of that is not just pulling the dent out but also adjusting the quarter panel back 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch into place as it was shifted.

I will call insurance today and ask them what they believe the impact of this claim will be on my rates, then decide if I’m going to make a claim or just pay out-of-pocket the 2600. I am inclined to go to the approach of the Paintless dent repair, because 5000 for this just feels crazy.
Don't forget, if you make an insurance claim that car will forever have a black eye on the CarFax report as having been in an accident. Ask me how I know. Over an $800 claim to refinish the rear bumper fascia on my Q50.

$5K? CarFax may say it was totaled. /S

I think you might be able to get someone to fix that without costing you 5k , Or even be able to pop that out yourself. I had a guy a while ago that came to my house to do dent repair. He did it but pushing out the dent from behind it. It was AMAZING to watch. Google Dent repair in your area to see if anyone does it and it may save you literally thousands of dollars.

Possibly not…I had a paintless dent repair quote out and he wants $2600.

That seams a bit higher than I would have expected, but this damage absolutely can be repaired to as good as new by a competent PDR guy.

A significant amount of that is not just pulling the dent out but also adjusting the quarter panel back 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch into place as it was shifted.

Yep, that will be an essential step, but not too hard to get right.

I am inclined to go to the approach of the Paintless dent repair, because 5000 for this just feels crazy.

I would recommend calling around for more PDR quotes. The dent goes over a fender crease, which will take more than average amount of work, but still doable.
There is a HUGE spread of experience and competence across PDR technicians. See if you can find someone who comes highly recommended.
Where in NY are you?

1 panel usually costs $500-800 to PDR. Plus something extra for re-aligning the fender/hood gap.

HTH,
a

Reactions: Stevewaclo

View attachment 981424

View attachment 981425
Do the same on the back quarter panel and you are looking at $13K 😧

• Funny
Reactions: EatsShoots
Don't forget, if you make an insurance claim that car will forever have a black eye on the CarFax report as having been in an accident. Ask me how I know. Over an $800 claim to refinish the rear bumper fascia on my Q50.

$5K? CarFax may say it was totaled. /S
Absolutely this ^^^^. I wouldn’t go through insurance on this, and would highly recommend getting a 2nd opinion on the PDR. Alternatively, I personally would shop for a junkyard front fender and either have it painted, or luck up and find an undamaged one same color, and install myself. I’ve done that (same color undamaged fender) on 2 cars in the past and the results were amazing, not to mention super inexpensive.