Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screeching sound when braking in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The typical “fix” is to put a chemical/solution on the brake pads (the braking surface) that permeates into the pads a bit, it lasts awhile. This stuff is made of magic but it does lessen noise. Made by BG if memory serves. Also lubricating all pins and sliders/shims.

Some people make brakes scream without trying that others can’t while trying. Pedal pressure is a big part of that. My model 3 performance has been silent In going and stopping for me. My BMW has the loudest brakes I’ve ever owned (and I have a Lotus on race pads).

There are two clips on each pad in the rear. 8 total, 4 per side of the car in the rear.

There is a spring tab on each clip that pushes the pad away from the rotor, when these break off you can have a squeal when backing up or have very fun sounds when the e-brake is engaging or disengaging.

I inspected my brakes over a week ago and found one of the spring tabs broke off so I ordered a replacement. When the rear brake caliper is apart you should be able to squeeze the pads in by hand against the rotors and when you release the pads should spring away from the rotors. If not you have a broken tab or really gummed up brakes.

If you attempt this please do the research. Secure the car(use chocks), use tow mode and pull the connectors apart on both rear brakes so you don't end up with a mess.

I had a rock stuck between the rear brake shield and the rotor that would cause this issue. If it's coming from one side I would check for that by taking the caliper off and taking a look. The rear calipers are a little trickier to take off because of the automatic parking brake requiring you to put the car in tow mode.