Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires Screech during stop only with regenerative breaking.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Model 3 base model, and I noticed in the first couple of months that when on a downhill, as the car came to a stop using only the regenerative breaking, there is a screeching sound that I am almost positive is caused by the tires slipping. I thought it was just the fact that I was on a steep hill, but now it’s happening so often, and not just on hills, it can even happen on slight up hill stops, but it is clearly a screech like tires losing traction. Would love some advice, as I fear wasting time and money taking the car to a service center unless absolutely necessary.

Is it pulling to the left or right during regen or normal braking? Of so, is it like someone's turning the steering wheel quite a bit, or is it like the car is yawing one way or the other. Does it go away when releasing the brake or slightly applying the accellerator?

Have you tried turning off regen braking? (Or charged it above 95% which will do the same thing) does it still make the same noise during decell.

Is it pulling to the left or right during regen or normal braking? Of so, is it like someone's turning the steering wheel quite a bit, or is it like the car is yawing one way or the other. Does it go away when releasing the brake or slightly applying the accellerator?

Have you tried turning off regen braking? (Or charged it above 95% which will do the same thing) does it still make the same noise during decell.
There is no pulling to the steering, just the screeching. I have not tried turning off regenerative breaking but I’m sure it would stop if I did, since that would mean I need to use the normal break. When I use the normal break with regen, the screeching doesn’t happen. It almost seems like my regenerative breaking is over tuned. I keep the car charged at above 95 percent att all times.

It's not the tires slipping/locking up. That would jerk you around pretty good in the car. The fact that it isn't pulling or yawning means the brakes are working fine.
Regen braking happens whether you use the normal brakes or not.

My guess is the car is fine. Your hearing something your not used to.

Reactions: gearchruncher
There is no pulling to the steering, just the screeching. I have not tried turning off regenerative breaking but I’m sure it would stop if I did, since that would mean I need to use the normal break. When I use the normal break with regen, the screeching doesn’t happen. It almost seems like my regenerative breaking is over tuned. I keep the car charged at above 95 percent att all times.
It's not the tires slipping/locking up. That would jerk you around pretty good in the car. The fact that it isn't pulling or yawning means the brakes are working fine.
Regen braking happens whether you use the normal brakes or not.

My guess is the car is fine. Your hearing something your not used to.
I find that hard to believe, I get head turns from people on the street when the tires screech, thinking I am speeding or have momentarily lost control.