Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen went crazy today, phantom touch issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I went out for a ride in the car today, about 50 miles. Had the AC and radio on most of the time, everything went fine, no problem.

UNTIL.....

I was nearly home and pulled into a convenience store, and all of a sudden the screen freaks out, maps and supercharger screens popping up, radio controls changing channels, the volume went to maximum about 5 times in a row, all inside of 20 seconds or so. No one touched the screen, no moisture anywhere near it, etc. I'm on the 24.6.9 update.

Once I got the car into a parking space, I did the two button + brake pedal reset twice and it seemed to fix it, but for 2 things:

1. A fuzzy white line on the edge of the screen. About 1/8" wide. It wasn't there before. It goes most of the way up the right edge of the screen, and from the bottom right corner, about 4 inches towards the center.

2. When I got out and back into car, the top miles / watts screen didn't reset. The one that says "Since X time", above the "Since last charge" numbers. It thought I was in the car for an hour straight, and I wasn't.

I did some google searching, and some things I read said the phantom touch issue could be caused by heat, and it's a hot day, but I just had the AC on in the car for the last hour, so the screen shouldn't be overheated.

And of course Tesla Support is closed today, and I'm at 53,000 miles, so I don't know about my warranty coverage or anything right now.

Ideas?

Just had the same thing happen! Called in and roadside assistance can’t see any issue. We did the reset and it still went berserk after that. We’ve done a power off (in a moment of calm on the screen…) and it’s charging now in a shaded area. Here’s hoping that does it or it’s going to be a long ride back to Minnesota tomorrow.