Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SDG&E Rates Jumped 1/1/23. Update your app settings!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The insane natural gas price hike is all over the local news, but electric rates also jumped as of 1/1/23. Make sure to update your settings in the Tesla app to reflect the new pricing. I don't know if this happens automatically, but I had edited mine so I manually adjusted the new pricing.

EV-TOU2 summer peak is now a whopping $.83/kwh.

You can get your updated rates here:

If you got solar in the past 2-3 years, they dont allow connection on a tiered rate anymore, you will be switched to a TOU plan.
My solar came with my home which I purchased new in 3/17. Was on tiered from then til about 12/27/22. I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see if they can change me back. My understanding was I’d be allowed to stay on tiered for 20 years.

My solar came with my home which I purchased new in 3/17. Was on tiered from then til about 12/27/22. I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see if they can change me back. My understanding was I’d be allowed to stay on tiered for 20 years.

If you didnt change anything, they might have migrated you under one of their "programs" to "helpfully" get people on TOU plans. I have received like 3 letters from SCE since 2016 telling me that "I was selected to participate in a migration to a TOU plan" blah blah blah, and if I didnt do anything they were going to switch me.

Each time I responded in writing with a letter to the address they gave me telling them I was opting out of their "helpful" migration. I dont know if SDGE is similar but the CA utilities tend to operate mostly the same. Hopefully they will move you back. I seem to remember some people mentioning grandfathering for something like 5 years.

If the system is NEM 2.0, it is grandfathered in the 1:1 credit for 20 years from PTO and must be on TOU. NEM 1.0 does not need to be on TOU.

EIGHTY THREE CENTS PER KWH ON PEAK? Holeee craporooney. You guys in California are getting hosed. When we moved out of SoCal in early 2021 we were paying 46 cents per kwh on peak from our EV-TOU from SCE but that tariff is outrageous.

We're in Southern Arizona with TEP now and we are at 10.88 cents per kwh super off peak from 10p - 6am 365 days a year - and our most expensive electricty is 4 cents less than your off peak rate. . . . ouch.

The most expensive supercharger is half that on peak rate. . . .

EIGHTY THREE CENTS PER KWH ON PEAK? Holeee craporooney. You guys in California are getting hosed. When we moved out of SoCal in early 2021 we were paying 46 cents per kwh on peak from our EV-TOU from SCE but that tariff is outrageous.

We're in Southern Arizona with TEP now and we are at 10.88 cents per kwh super off peak from 10p - 6am 365 days a year - and our most expensive electricty is 4 cents less than your off peak rate. . . . ouch.

The most expensive supercharger is half that on peak rate. . . .

This is why the energy companies sorta did it to themselves on why solar is almost mandatory under NEM1.0/2.0 and why they want to kill it. When the energy gets too expensive to buy, people will just make the energy themselves and kick the IOUs to the curb. Still need more tech though for non-solar days.

Gas bills are pretty crazy right now too.