Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second summer with solar and it feels great

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m already up close to a megawatt of NEM 2 credits and no summer SDGE bill to stress about!

It’s crazy to think how much power costs in San Diego and California as a whole. I’d probably be around $20-25 a day when the heat comes like this weekend.

I was fortunate to get NEM 2.0 right before the deadline and now the power bill anxiety has melted away :)

Attachments

• IMG_9803.jpeg
    IMG_9803.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 3
We have net metering here.... but after recently passing the first annual anniversary of operation, a few things are coming into focus. Our system produces about 80% of our annual useage. And this includes car charging! Since paying closer attention, that annual useage is steadily decreasing. Of course there is a limit to that, but I can see the possibility of that 80% increasing, perhaps toward 100%.

Generation is seasonally weighted of course, and enough battery capacity to spread it annually is not feasible (at least not currently) so net metering still is significant. We are exporting enough during the 6 months of break even to excessive generation to eliminate around 2 more months of BGE billing, and the remaining 4 billing periods the invoices are approx 60% lower than prior to getting this system.
My number one goal going in, energy security, appears to be well in hand. It does feel great! But I am thinking about more PWs.....

Reactions: Matt-FL
I'm not on any NEM plan, payback from the utility is only fuel cost. From my research, I found that I needed to oversize in order to closer achieve 100%. Right now I'm at 124%, with the majority of my bills at zero or below zero, and only a bill or two in the winter being as high as $50. In the last 12 months, my electric bills have totaled $135.45.

Completely agree with you, loving my decision to go solar too!

1719256267331.png
1719256297933.png

Reactions: GregBallantyne