Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking advice: Assigned Parking in Condo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Based in Downtown San Jose - looking to get advice from people who have worked with their HOA to get EV charging set up for their assigned parking spot. My building has previously had a couple waves of groups of people who've essentially done a "group buy" on a transformer and then splitting the cost and then running wiring from their floor's electrical room to their spot. I could be totally wrong, but I read there are other solutions out there for parking complexes like mine - does anyone have advice on what I should do? Really any advice is appreciated!

Message from building's general manager:
All cost is solely yours - the last group of 9 had to install a transformer to get power as we couldn’t support any more load on the HOA account.

We are almost maxed out with PG&E incoming transformer to the building (common areas), so PG&E would have to upgrade their transformer (no cost to us, just major power outage to building) and then you would have to install your transformer to get power to your EV charger.

The issue we have at AXIS is that the parking spaces belong to you, the owner. We considered dedicated EV charging stations, but where would we put them? We have to ask owners to give up there parking spot or to be reassigned to one of the staff parking spots. The last group of 9 bought their own transformer at approx. cost of $30k, they divided up the cost and they now own the transformer. After that, they paid for contractor to run conduit to their parking space and install EV Charger.

Message from fellow resident involved in last "wave" of installations:
When the group installed the transformer that powers the nine chargers you see in the garage, it took us over a year to get approvals and then install it (the approvals should be easier now)… but the problem now is that there is not enough power to the street from PG&E. If the same technical route is used, the nine transformer owners that currently exist paid around $6k each for transformer/wiring/install/charger… but it would be more expensive this go-around with the street-level improvements needed.

David

Hi David,

I have the similar problem. I just got the REJECT notification from my HOA at yesterday. I can not install a fixed charging outlet on my assigned parking spot.

Today I figured out another idea. I move the fixed charging outlet from the parking spot to my front yard. And I choose an extension cord that I can use in the night temporarily. If your assigned parking spot is near your house, it might be helpful.
upload_2018-9-11_22-12-43.png

Michael

Hi all,

Based in Downtown San Jose - looking to get advice from people who have worked with their HOA to get EV charging set up for their assigned parking spot. My building has previously had a couple waves of groups of people who've essentially done a "group buy" on a transformer and then splitting the cost and then running wiring from their floor's electrical room to their spot. I could be totally wrong, but I read there are other solutions out there for parking complexes like mine - does anyone have advice on what I should do? Really any advice is appreciated!

David

CA SB880 makes it easier to deal with HOAs re charging stations ...but sounds like your issue is with power company ..to upgrade the service and possibly increase transformer size ..I’m surprised the previous group that bought transformer wouldn’t have additional capacity to share with you , than becomes a conduit/trench cost only ??

Hi all,

David

Has anyone actually done a recent load study on their system? I would not be surprised if there is actually capacity left - often times when you size these things "on paper" they have to go with the worst case scenario, but once they are installed and running for say a year if you have good usage logs you might be able to discover plenty of available capacity (assuming you have some kind of monitoring system).

To really understand this setup we would need to be able to look at the "one line" diagrams for the building. From what you describe, it sounds like your building gets a 480v feed and then steps it down to 208v.

I have a friend who designed a system for his condo (he is a certified electrical designer). They had tons of extra capacity on their main switchgear luckily and a free 400a or 800a breaker I believe. They used that to feed stacked riser panels through the floors of the garage. The way they set it up each user that wanted to add service had to pay to run conduit from the stacked riser electrical panels to their parking spot and every user bought their own small transformer (of whatever size they wanted). The transformers hang from the wall in front of the car, so no extra space needed. Conductor costs were low since they were being fed at 480v to to the spot (conduit size was also small). Because of this setup they bought all 480 to 240v stepdown transformers which is a benefit over 208v transformers you typically see (so you charge faster at 240v).

This was in Seattle and so power was really inexpensive. They chose just not to meter it and charge a flat rate instead since the cost to do meter reading and billing would likely be more than it was worth.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Hi David,

I have the similar problem. I just got the REJECT notification from my HOA at yesterday. I can not install a fixed charging outlet on my assigned parking spot.

Today I figured out another idea. I move the fixed charging outlet from the parking spot to my front yard. And I choose an extension cord that I can use in the night temporarily. If your assigned parking spot is near your house, it might be helpful.
View attachment 334142

Michael

I would not be surprised if the HOA had issue with the plug in your yard as well. Also, I am not sure I would want the liability of a power cord across the sidewalk every day (trip and fall hazard) - HOA could have issue with that too.

I would definitely make sure my 14-50 had a GFCI breaker for this install since you chance of water getting into things is decently high.

Note that you don't need that large of wire gauge for a 14-50, but if I was doing it I would absolutely plan ahead to the future (at least large enough conduit, but yeah, maybe go ahead with the larger wire if you thought there was a later use case).

Oh also, is there a reason you need to use an actual extension cord? What if you just had the conduit come out of the ground and then transition to some SOOW cable with a rain proof receptacle box on the end of some kind? That eliminates a plug mating surface and avoids folks running off with it. Though is there somewhere in your yard to hide it all? Or do you need to take it inside daily?

It sounds to me that the building manager in the OP's post is using the word "transformer" incorrectly. It sounds to me like he actually means "metered service panel".

This is what I would suggest. Enlist the services of a company that can do load managed EVSEs like @MITE46 and get them to add more circuits to the service that the original 9 owners set up. I think it should be able to handle at least 20 EVSEs.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
It sounds to me that the building manager in the OP's post is using the word "transformer" incorrectly. It sounds to me like he actually means "metered service panel".

This is what I would suggest. Enlist the services of a company that can do load managed EVSEs like @MITE46 and get them to add more circuits to the service that the original 9 owners set up. I think it should be able to handle at least 20 EVSEs.

Actually, I think the building manager probably used it correctly. Most likely they have a transformer sitting outside the building that takes say 13kV down to 480v three phase and then it comes into the building where you have to further step it down to say 208v (well, unless you hook a HPWC up at 277v and you have a car that can accept that). I am curious if those initial EV users tagged onto the main building switchgear? Or did they get a separate electrical service for themselves? How do they deal with billing?

But yes, there are creative ways to handle this. Load management would certainly be an option!

I would not be surprised if the HOA had issue with the plug in your yard as well. Also, I am not sure I would want the liability of a power cord across the sidewalk every day (trip and fall hazard) - HOA could have issue with that too.

I would definitely make sure my 14-50 had a GFCI breaker for this install since you chance of water getting into things is decently high.

Note that you don't need that large of wire gauge for a 14-50, but if I was doing it I would absolutely plan ahead to the future (at least large enough conduit, but yeah, maybe go ahead with the larger wire if you thought there was a later use case).

Oh also, is there a reason you need to use an actual extension cord? What if you just had the conduit come out of the ground and then transition to some SOOW cable with a rain proof receptacle box on the end of some kind? That eliminates a plug mating surface and avoids folks running off with it. Though is there somewhere in your yard to hide it all? Or do you need to take it inside daily?

Thank you for your reminding! I need to ask HOA for approval again.

Upgrading to use a GFCI breaker is a good idea, I will discuss with my electrician later. The reason using an extension cord is that this cord need cross the sidewalk, it's only used when I charge my car in the night. I need to take it inside daily.

I really appreciate your response.

Thank you for your reminding! I need to ask HOA for approval again.

Upgrading to use a GFCI breaker is a good idea, I will discuss with my electrician later. The reason using an extension cord is that this cord need cross the sidewalk, it's only used when I charge my car in the night. I need to take it inside daily.

I really appreciate your response.
If you park driver's side to sidewalk, do you need an extension? You could get a different EVSE. 25' (300") cable from EVSE body to plug is allowed by J1772. That way you avoid any objectives to not recommended use of an extension

Cool, it's a think out of box idea. I find that wall charger also has 24 feet option.

Thank you so much!

Yeah, I thought about suggesting this, though one downside is that the cable across the sidewalk may get a lot of abuse, so replacing an extension cord might be cheaper than the cordset on the Wall Connector.

Though note that I really am a big fan of the wall Connector.

Question: Is that parking spot permanently assigned to you? It is really a pretty jerk maneuver for the HOA to not allow you to put an EV charger at a parking spot that is dedicated to you. I can understand wanting it to be aesthetically pleasing, but what if you were to do a Wall Connector with the 8' cord right exactly where you need it on some pretty looking post? (underground feed naturally) That seems like it would be very unobtrusive.

There is liability for running a cord across the sidewalk all the time FWIW... Trip and fall issue... You also really don't want folks riding bikes over it and walking on it all the time. You could get a cord organizer cover, but it is still a trip hazard.

Reactions: adaptabl
Yeah, I thought about suggesting this, though one downside is that the cable across the sidewalk may get a lot of abuse, so replacing an extension cord might be cheaper than the cordset on the Wall Connector.

Though note that I really am a big fan of the wall Connector.

Question: Is that parking spot permanently assigned to you? It is really a pretty jerk maneuver for the HOA to not allow you to put an EV charger at a parking spot that is dedicated to you. I can understand wanting it to be aesthetically pleasing, but what if you were to do a Wall Connector with the 8' cord right exactly where you need it on some pretty looking post? (underground feed naturally) That seems like it would be very unobtrusive.

There is liability for running a cord across the sidewalk all the time FWIW... Trip and fall issue... You also really don't want folks riding bikes over it and walking on it all the time. You could get a cord organizer cover, but it is still a trip hazard.

This parking spot is permanently assigned to me, but the HOA said all the parking lots are common property. I have no idea to make HOA approve my application.

The charging cable cross the sidewalk is a annoying problem, I will only use it at night to make sure it safe for kids in my community. I just find a great idea from this thread:
Diameter of current-generation wall connector cable (24 foot model)?upload_2018-9-13_0-20-22.png

If you are in PGE territory and it looks like you are, have your HOA check out PGE's Charge Network program. PGE will cover the majority of the cost and poof you will have a lot of stations.

MVA.JPG

This is 18 stations for an apartment building in mountain view, that I think only has 18 apartments...

Last edited:
Reactions: miimura