Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling 2014 Model S 85 in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all.

I have a salvage repaired Model S 85 from Hong Kong, that I am in the process of shipping into the UK.

I will handle all the paper work of importing, taxing, and everything to make it road legal and fit for purpose. It was previously written off by the insurance company in HK due to the insane repair costs from official Tesla service centers, and for whatever reason, Teslas (and I think all EVs) that have been written off by the insurance company can not be re-registered in HK.

So I've decided to ship the car to the UK. Once registered, I will be looking to sell it, so maybe I thought I'd get a head start and see if I can find some interested parties.

As it is an HK car, it has identical spec to UK. So of course it is RHD, has a 3-phase EU style charging port. It's a 'classic' S85, so no AP, and RWD only. The range is about 250Miles, but it has not been 'calibrated' in some months as I haven't had an opportunity to drive it on the road, to cycle and balance the batteries. I will report back more accurate range once it's on the road. Because the charge ports are the same, it will be able to use UK/EU superchargers fine. The car has not been 'blacklisted' so will still receive updates, and can still hook into the phone app.

I'm not asking for any down payments or anything like that. Just looking to see if I can find some interested people before it reaches the UK. I think it should be road legal by end of April or maybe May.

As the car is a salvage repair, AND out of region, there is no more warranty provided by Tesla. As such, I will would be willing to provide some warranty on the car (drive train and non wear & tear items for... 6 months say). Happy to put that into writing. You can also get the car checked out if you want.

If anyone is interested, feel free to contact me.

Hi I would be very interested in this car keep me informed and have you got approximate cost
Thanks
Jimmy

Thanks for your interest. I've actually got 2 coming in. 1 is a 2014 S85, and the other is a 2015 S70D. They arrive in EU in about a week from now.

Do you have a preference for which you would like? The S 85 is of course, rear wheel drive only and no AP hardware. But longer range!

I'm looking for around £35k all-in. So the car the would be fully registered and MOTed and on the road.

I'm also looking to import a Model X 60D, in case that tickles your fancy. Unlike the 2 S's, the X is not a salvage repair car. For that I'm looking for about £50k.

Feel free to PM me.

Model 3 in the UK? They arnt being sold in the UK yet and even the LHD ones in the EU start at ~50k new.

I think maybe model 3 will come out in UK in Q3, but even then it will be the higher end models first. Unlikely the 35k model will come out this year.

I drove the M3 in the US in Miami. Fantastic car! Excellent performance. A better drivers car than the S or X. But if you need cargo space, the S has more than twice the cargo space.

10-Front-Left.jpg
Thanks for quick reply those models are too much for me is there any model 3 which have been discounted
Thanks
Jimmy

In case you're interested, my 2014 Model S 85 is already in the UK, fully repaired.

The car is fully repaired and has no faults. EU maps have been loaded, supercharging works, and even AutoPilot works!

I'm lowering my asking price to £29,500. Looks like the release of the Model 3 has already resulted in some lower asking prices for used Model S.

Here are some pictures!

Attachments

• 01-Side-Right.jpg
    01-Side-Right.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 02-Rear-Right.jpg
    02-Rear-Right.jpg
    850.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 03-Rear.jpg
    03-Rear.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 04-Rear-Left.jpg
    04-Rear-Left.jpg
    837.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 06-Interior.jpg
    06-Interior.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 35
In case anyone is interested what the damage was prior to the repair, it was basically all body.

Here's what was done:

All that was needed was to replace the all the panels on the left (passenger), and respray to color match. Mechanically there was no real problem. We realigned the suspension arms at the front. Also had to replace the front AP/Parking sensors as they were damaged. Otherwise, everything else is original.

I've loaded in EU maps, and drove this car with my family from Lithuania to UK. HK cars appear identical to UK cars, so we could use the supercharger network on the way over to the UK fine. (See picture below).

Drove most of the way using AP1. (See picture below).

The only issue I have with this car is that the built in 3G doesn't work. I changed the SIM to a Lithuanian sim card while it was in LT, but for some reason I was only getting an 'EDGE' network... It might be better with a UK SIM but I have not tried. But I think WiFi works better any way. So anyone with a portable 4G modem, you can just leave that in the car for connectivity. If you replace the car's SIM, you'll get 3G at best, and EDGE at worst. Neither are particulalry great for streaming audio through Spotify. So better use a 4G Wifi connection IMO.

11-SuperCharging.jpg
12-AP.jpg