Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling Model X 2018 100D.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man what a lesson having to come to the reality of the first year depreciation.

We just sold out 2016 90X, despite all the press about the great resale value, and high demand we had a heck of a time selling the X despite trying every option I could, (Tesla trade, Carmax, Vroom, Carvana, Texas Auto Direct, onlyusedtesla.com, auto trader, and eBay). We ended up doing significantly better just selling it on eBay (YMMV).

Man what a lesson having to come to the reality of the first year depreciation.

We just sold out 2016 90X, despite all the press about the great resale value, and high demand we had a heck of a time selling the X despite trying every option I could, (Tesla trade, Carmax, Vroom, Carvana, Texas Auto Direct, onlyusedtesla.com, auto trader, and eBay). We ended up doing significantly better just selling it on eBay (YMMV).

Well, yes and no.

If you shop around for leases for any luxury car, you will see RVs in the 50%.

Sports cars tend to be in the mid to high 40s.
Luxury sedans tend to be in the low to mid 50s
SUVs and bigger boxes can be in the high 50s.
Popular models with low mileage per year can be in the 60s.

In reality, as a private party, you would need to sell the car 5-15% below market-value. So that 50% residual may become 42.5%.

Tesla is not that much different. In fact, beyond year 4, there is an odd flattening of depreciation. I have seen people go crazy on these facebook groups over a 2012/2013 model S with 80k miles for $35-40k (close to 50% MSRP!).

I sold a 3 year old P90DL at around 50% MSRP. Had I gotten it new, I would get the tax benefit of $7500 (5% MSRP), making my total loss 45% MSRP. However, I did not buy new.

One reason it feels high is the lack of discounts. But you could go for showroom incentives. I've been offered showroom incentives that are 25% off MSRP.

So you get the point.

High depreciation is inherent but avoidable.

Reactions: P85_DA