Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling Model X Spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I have not yet. They will contact me "at some future date" to ask me what options I want for my Model X. I don't have a delivery date, etc. yet. The Tesla rep has confirmed that I can sell my spot in line to someone else.

Sorry, but something is weird. Up to 7 days after you place an order you can get your $5,000 deposit back from Tesla.

If your deposit is no longer refi]undable then that means that you have an order; there is no middle ground were you have committed to ordering but have not 'picked you options'.

I would call the Tesla store ( not dealership) back and ask for clearification from them.

Selling a reservation is pointless, even if you can find a way to do it. It doesn't get you a spot in line -- that comes when you actually confirm your order. All the reservation does is grant you access to the design studio and at this point, if you put down a deposit, you get access to the design studio within 5 business days or less. It seems that it is the Monday following receipt of your deposit payment. At least for those in the USA. So yeah, if you buy a deposit from someone now, the most it could do is put you a few days ahead of other people that might put in a deposit the same day.

Sorry, but something is weird. Up to 7 days after you place an order you can get your $5,000 deposit back from Tesla.

If your deposit is no longer refi]undable then that means that you have an order; there is no middle ground were you have committed to ordering but have not 'picked you options'.

I would call the Tesla store ( not dealership) back and ask for clearification from them.

This ^ If you have a reservation and have not yet confirmed an order, it's fully refundable. If you have confirmed the order, then yes, cancelling the order forfeits your $5K deposit. Changing your ordered configuration, even just the paint color or wheel options, incurs a $500 change fee plus whatever the price adjustment of your new configuration amounts to (less or more). You can not change your order within two weeks of production.

As of right now, the only reservations that would hold any value would be the Signature or Founders due to the special Sig red color available and the collectability of the badge on the car to some select buyers. You also get different pricing with those reservations. General production reservations are not worth the headache, IMO, as the could only save at most a few days on the order time and the original reservation holder still has to be named on the paperwork and could muddy things up when trying to figure tax credits later.

I wonder if many reserved a Model X on impulse since I see too many either trying to sell their spot or <1000 mile used Model X, minus any tax incentive but yet asking a premium.

Myself in particular was quite a bit underwhelmed with the quality and disappointed with the late delivery of the X.

I wish you well.

I have 2016 Model X , 1700 miles only for sale

Model X 90D

Not including the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit

$95,500

All-Wheel Drive Included

Red Multi-Coat Paint $1,500

20" Silver Wheels Included

Black Leather Seats $2,500

Figured Ash Wood Décor $750

Front Console Included

Black Headliner Included