Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling to dealership - what to do about car info ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I am sellling my Tess to a local dealer later today. In the Tesla docs I see how to trasfer ownership info to an individual. What do I need to do in this case? I'm keping my Tesla account as I am getting a new Tess in 2 weeks. Thanks.

Hi. I am sellling my Tess to a local dealer later today. In the Tesla docs I see how to trasfer ownership info to an individual. What do I need to do in this case? I'm keping my Tesla account as I am getting a new Tess in 2 weeks. Thanks.

I would recommend the following:

========================================

Can I remove a car from my Tesla Account?
Yes. You can use the Tesla app to remove a car from your account. If you are transferring ownership, please note that Supercharging credits, upgrades and some other features may not be transferable. After the removal, your previous ownership documents, lease/loan documents and receipts can be found in the ‘Previously Owned’ section of your Tesla Account.

To remove your vehicle from the Tesla app:

1. Tap profile icon in top-right corner.
  2. Tap 'Add/Remove Products' > 'Remove.'
  3. Tap the vehicle to be removed.
  4. Review the requirements to remove your vehicle. Then, tap 'Get Started.'
  5. If applicable, pay any outstanding Supercharging balance.
  6. Answer questions about your vehicle. If you are transferring to a new buyer, submit their information. If not, select 'Skip.'
  7. Review information about your vehicle and the new owner of the vehicle.
  8. Submit your removal request by selecting 'Remove' > 'Yes, Remove.'
  9. Enter your security code.
  10. You will receive an email to confirm your request.

Note: To access this feature, you must have Tesla app version 4.8.0 or higher.

Follow these steps to remove a car from your Tesla Account:

1. Sign in to your Tesla Account.
  2. Select ‘Manage’ next to the car you’d like to transfer or remove.
  3. Scroll down and select ‘Remove Car.’
  4. If you're transferring to a new buyer, submit their information. If not, select 'Skip this Step.'
  5. Submit your removal request.
  6. You will receive an email prompting you to confirm the removal within 10 minutes. Once confirmed, the removal will be final. If it is not confirmed within the 10-minute time window, the request to remove your car will expire. You can resubmit the request to remove your car at any time.

Note: If you transferred directly to the new owner, they will also receive an email confirmation. If no Tesla Account is associated with their email address, they’ll receive a second email to complete their account set-up.

Erasing Personal Data​

You can erase all personal data (saved addresses, music favorites, HomeLink programming, etc.) and restore all customized settings to their factory defaults. This is useful when transferring ownership of Model 3. Touch Controls > Service > Factory Reset. Before erasing, Model 3 verifies your credentials by prompting you to enter the user name and password associated with your Tesla account.

Thanks. This is the part that confused me:
  1. If you're transferring to a new buyer, submit their information. If not, select 'Skip this Step.'
The new buyer is a non-Tesla dealership. I can select skip and see what happens.

Thanks. This is the part that confused me:
  1. If you're transferring to a new buyer, submit their information. If not, select 'Skip this Step.'
The new buyer is a non-Tesla dealership. I can select skip and see what happens.

I wouldnt remove anything from my tesla account until the car was in the possession of the party that is buying it. If you are selling it to a dealership and dropping it off there, I wouldnt remove it from my tesla account until the car was physically on their property (in their parking lot) and I was sure I had removed all of my items from it, AS WELL AS, I had already performed the "erase personal data" steps.

I would likely erase the personal data right before I drove to the dealership to drop it off, so there was time for that to process. When I sold my wifes BMW to givemethevin in march of this year, I performed its "erase personal data" steps the night before we were dropping it off at their offices.

I didnt remove it from BMWs "my bmw" portal (which is not as extensive as teslas but is still a thing) until I got home after dropping it off.

Reactions: pipestem
Is it possible to remove user data on a totaled car with both a dead 12V and high voltage battery that I no longer have access to?
Not that I have seen posted here. This question has been asked a few different times and I dont think there was any other answer other than "no way to erase profile on car if you dont have access to it".

Perhaps someone else knows different, though.