Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I park on the streets of Manhattan and got the dreaded 'alarm state triggered' message the other day. I came to find someone had scraped and even slightly dented my front bumper, probably trying to jam their car into too small a space. I thought, at least I would have video for insurance, with a 128 GB flash drive plugged in ...well no, apparently. It seems that sentry mode just decided to give up the ghost in terms of recording a short time before the event, even though there was over 30 GB of free space remaining. Obviously, just such a face palm with Tesla now working on this for 2 years and still unable to implement basic functionality. I assumed an event that triggered an alarm state would be saved, but apparently not.

Any advice? Am I missing something or am I just SOL?

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
This may have something to do with the fail... If anyone has some advice on how to get sentry mode to work in a city like nyc, please let me know. I guess Tesla engineers are used to parking their cars in the suburbs and probably thought 738 events was an impossible scenario.
IMG_3439.jpg

Also hit an issue after a door hit.
Only got about 60secs footage after Sentry mode was triggered, but 9 minutes before, which wasn't enough time for the car to drive off to catch the plate.

Parked at a destination charger in shopping centre (Sydney, Australia)

X one side, 3 the other, both parked close to the line. So it was a tight fit but I left as much space as I could - only remaining DC.

Came back to an alert.
Dad and 3 kids running to the car and setting off my blinkers.
Daughter gets opens front door, lightly taps my car.
Young son pushes past rubbing against my car the whole way, then looks to place both hands on my roof, then opens the rear door. Taps my car opening the car, then decently hits it as he gets in.
Dad who was loading the trunk heard it and grabbed it after the 2nd hit, and did at least check for damage.
Thankfully no damage on a MSM on MSM touch.

It's hard to understand why, with the attention they've given to playback, which of course is welcome, they haven't put a little more effort into the triggering side. In cities it's normal for people to pass close by, 738 times, without evil intent. I haven't broken a window lately to test it, but a lot have been broken in the past without any reaction from the car. There's a microphone in the front, but sound apparently is not monitored? Passing cats will trigger sentry, but smashing a window will not? Anyway, bitch and moan, yadda yadda, but they should polish the security aspect a bit.

Got a massive dent on my drivers door sometime on Wednesday at work after I parked for lunch and before I left for work. Car was in the driveway otherwise and my wife said she noticed it yesterday. I just noticed it today. No Sentry Mode video for 2 days. There were videos from Tuesday and from today. No reason why it wouldn't have worked. Very frustrating.

Got a massive dent on my drivers door sometime on Wednesday at work after I parked for lunch and before I left for work. Car was in the driveway otherwise and my wife said she noticed it yesterday. I just noticed it today. No Sentry Mode video for 2 days. There were videos from Tuesday and from today. No reason why it wouldn't have worked. Very frustrating.

It was always the wife!