Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode.....lot’s of events?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been using sentry mode for about 6 weeks with a 64 GB ultra fit USB 3.1 flash drive and have had maybe one or two events during that time. Since the update last week (2019.12.1.2 5c87371), sentry mode has been going crazy. In one three hour period with the car parked in my usual spot in a garage, it registered 13 events. No alarms went off, just events. I plugged in my second identical flash drive the next day and it registered four events. I tried looking for anything usual on the drives, but could not find anything of note. Just the usual foot traffic and passing cars.

Curious if anyone else has had a similar experience. Thanks for your interest.

Upgraded last week. Modification made thing worse in my opinion.
I don't think the criteria for triggering events has change. Previously, you had events you never knew about unless you pulled the USB drive and reviewed the saved files. Now, you get a notification on your screen whenever an event is triggered. Previously, some people were complaining the car didn't notify them of alert incidents, so they wouldn't know to review recordings to see if anything untoward may have happened; now, that has been addressed.

Reactions: Scubadude
Yeah... I parked my car in a front row spot when getting my haircut. There was en event for almost every person that just walked by. And an event for cars pulling in & out of the parking spots next to me. A bit extreme IMO...
If you deem the parking spot to be "safe" (you could see your car from the hair salon, for example), you could simply leave Sentry Mode off to avoid extraneous recordings. On the other had, if you're wary and don't want to risk even a slight chance that someone may do something to your car, then wouldn't it be worthwhile to put up with a bunch of innocuous recordings if it also captured a real event? If you recall some of the recent Sentry Mode videos posted here (door ding, keying, graffiti), these were captured because of Tesla's use of cameras to detect moving object proximity to trigger the recordings. As a result, the perpetrators were identified. A less "sensitive" means to trigger the saving of recordings may reduce the number of files written to your USB drive, but also may mean that these types of non-intrusive, yet still destructive, events would not have been captured.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scubadude