Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sentry mode now defaults on - can this be set to what it was (default off)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't live / drive in high crime areas so just do not need it.
now that it defaults on I have to keep turning it off due to the battery drain. is there a way to make it default off like it was?

If you turned it off under controls - sentry, (as opposed to just tapping the sentry button in the controls menu), and it still is automatically turning on, the next question would be, do you have any third party app that interacts with the car?

I have tried turning it off both in the car and via the app. both work, but the next time I park it defaults to on. it gets a bit tedious having to turn it off all the time.
definitely no 3rd party app. I have reached out to Tesla, they don't have an answer (yet). I would not care (it can record boring footage till the cows come home) except for the battery drain. how can it possibly use so much power?

Not exactly. Sentry Mode uses a lot of power because the AP computer is continuously analyzing the video from each camera. The car doesn’t use much power otherwise even when it’s awake, as long as nothing else is running (climate control, for example).

If the car is not sleep, but sentry mode is off, I am fairly sure it uses almost the exact same amount of energy as when sentry mode is used (15-20 miles of range per day on a model 3). There are plenty of reports of people who mis configure some third party app or other and complaining of "vampire drain" and finding out that when they change their password and stop using that app, the drain goes away.

They are not using sentry mode, so I am fairly sure that the issue is "car not asleep" because the energy usage happens when the car doesnt sleep, whether sentry is on or not.

We could be saying roughly the same thing, however, since the cameras are always "on" when the car is awake, whether sentry mode is on or not.

Reactions: GtiMart
If the car is not sleep, but sentry mode is off, I am fairly sure it uses almost the exact same amount of energy as when sentry mode is used (15-20 miles of range per day on a model 3). There are plenty of reports of people who mis configure some third party app or other and complaining of "vampire drain" and finding out that when they change their password and stop using that app, the drain goes away.

They are not using sentry mode, so I am fairly sure that the issue is "car not asleep" because the energy usage happens when the car doesnt sleep, whether sentry is on or not.

We could be saying roughly the same thing, however, since the cameras are always "on" when the car is awake, whether sentry mode is on or not.
A few corrections:
  1. Sentry Mode uses 1+ miles of range per hour, which is more than when Sentry Mode is disabled and the car is awake. According to TeslaFi, my Model S uses about 0.6/miles per hour when the car is awake with Sentry Mode off.
  2. The cameras are not always on when Sentry Mode is disabled, they're only on when the car is powered up (typically, when you're in the car and the touchscreen is on). Awake and powered up are not the same thing.
  3. The cameras themselves don't use much power, it's the AP computer that uses a lot of power. Sentry Mode uses the AP computer to process video looking for "threats," but regular dashcam video doesn't use the AP computer.
So no, we're not saying the same thing. 🙂

A few corrections:
  1. Sentry Mode uses 1+ miles of range per hour, which is more than when Sentry Mode is disabled and the car is awake. According to TeslaFi, my Model S uses about 0.6/miles per hour when the car is awake with Sentry Mode off.
  2. The cameras are not always on when Sentry Mode is disabled, they're only on when the car is powered up (typically, when you're in the car and the touchscreen is on). Awake and powered up are not the same thing.
  3. The cameras themselves don't use much power, it's the AP computer that uses a lot of power. Sentry Mode uses the AP computer to process video looking for "threats," but regular dashcam video doesn't use the AP computer.

I originally said "because the car doesnt sleep". By your stats above, the car uses just over 1/2 a mile per hour, when its awake and sentry mode is off. When the car is sleep, a model 3 uses 1-3 miles of range per 24 hour period, so I still stand by "because it doesnt sleep".

A few corrections:
Interesting that you have stats on this, but 0.6/mile per hour is still drastically more than when the car is asleep. My Model 3 SR+ only uses on average 1 mile per day when it's asleep. But you are reporting a greater difference than others have (maybe it is different between models and modes; the other modes that can keep the car awake is summon standby, cabin overheat, which may or may not have the MCU on vs pinging it with an app).

I have tried turning it off both in the car and via the app. both work, but the next time I park it defaults to on. it gets a bit tedious having to turn it off all the time.
definitely no 3rd party app. I have reached out to Tesla, they don't have an answer (yet). I would not care (it can record boring footage till the cows come home) except for the battery drain. how can it possibly use so much power?
Other things you can check is to try to disable the "exclude" settings ("Exclude Home", etc). Also check if things change due to your driver profile (try to save your profile after you disable). And do all the settings in the car screen. My understanding is turning off on the app is only temporary, only the car setting sticks.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Interesting that you have stats on this, but 0.6/mile per hour is still drastically more than when the car is asleep. My Model 3 SR+ only uses on average 1 mile per day when it's asleep. But you are reporting a greater difference than others have (maybe it is different between models and modes; the other modes that can keep the car awake is summon standby, cabin overheat, which may or may not have the MCU on vs pinging it with an app).
I know the car uses very little energy when it’s asleep, less than 1 mile per day in my experience. I was a bit surprised that my S was using as much as 0.6/hour when awake with Sentry off, since the temperature isn’t extreme here in south FL. My main point was that Sentry Mode’s energy usage isn’t just caused by keeping the car awake.

TeslaFi shows range loss for each sleep and idle/awake period, so that’s where the stats come from.