Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode records shopping cart hitting Model 3 - GTA Dent Removal shops?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to add some supplemental reference to my last post...as I see someone disagreed with my post and observations of Sentry. Points 3 thru 7 seem fairly informative :rolleyes:

For those who wish to save time from clicking the link, here is the summary from the post:

Tested Sentry Mode and it seems to record back in time...plus other observations

Submitted by hector on February 25, 2019
I just ran a few tests on the Sentry Mode, to see if everything was working.

I drove to work as normal and parked. I turned on Sentry Mode before locking the car. Left the car for about an hour and went to test Sentry Mode. As soon as I approached the car (without my iPhone), the car entered Sentry Mode and started recording. After walking around the car a few times and trying the doors, I left until it stopped recording. Then I went to pull the USB drive. Here are my observations:

1. Within the TeslaCam folder, it created two folders, one called "RecentClips" and one called "SavedClips".
2. In the "SavedClips" folder, I found the recordings that showed me approaching my car and trying the door handles.
3. It records the front camera, left and right fender cameras as 3 different files, all dated with a time stamp in the file name
4. It saves clips up to 9 minutes before I approached the car! As if it's always recording (maybe into "RecentClips") and then moves them to "SavedClips" once a threat is detected.
5. It continued recording and saving clips for a minute or so after I left and stood about 6 feet away.
6. When I went to pull the USB drive to review the recording, I noticed the little red dot was not there on the camera icon, implying it was no longer recording the dash cam as normal.
7. When I looked at the files, there were no dash cam recordings at all from my commute, confirming that it was not recording the dash cam.
8. After reviewing all the files, I reformatted the drive and re-inserted it to test again.
9. After reinsertion, I had to tap the camera icon couple times to get it to have the red dot, indicating it was recording the dash cam. I moved my car forward and back a little bit.
10. Set it to Sentry mode and locked the car.
11. Approached it about 5 minutes later and the car entered Sentry Mode.
12. Pulled the drive and scanned the files.
13. Same two folders created, RecentClips and SavedClips.
14. Dash Cam recordings have returned as normal, except all 3 cameras are recording.
15. The Sentry Mode recordings were combined into the same Dash Cam Clips.

Tested Sentry Mode and it seems to record back in time...plus other observations | Tesla

You're welcome ;)

Still trying to figure out what there was to disagree with...Just providing facts

Just wanted to post an update.

All shops have said this cannot be paintless dent repair as the dent is through the edge and this panel is double skinned.

All quotes are in the low four-digit thousands.

Thanks for everyone's input. Will update when resolved with photos and shop recommendation.

Just wanted to post an update.

All shops have said this cannot be paintless dent repair as the dent is through the edge and this panel is double skinned.

All quotes are in the low four-digit thousands.

Thanks for everyone's input. Will update when resolved with photos and shop recommendation.

Depends where u are in Toronto but Excellence Auto on Midwest is first rate, Tesla approved and did a great job on mine. Apparently Leon’s is approved as well with good results.

That dent looked nasty, specially on the crease. If it was MS they would not even repair it, just replace the panel. Aluminum is not easily repairable.
I had a terrible experience with Leons. They replaced the hood of my MS and were not able to align properly. After few months the frunk stopped unlatching. Missi. SC had to align the lock with the hood last week.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck