Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode = vampire drain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree the drain is rather deep but also I enjoy the benefits and protection it offers when/if something happens.

The part I truly hate is the sifting through 1000s of files and short videos to determine if something happened. I wish the events were easier to see either real time or a better viewing experience.

I am afraid to shut Sentry down now because I know the moment I do something will happen :(

Over the course of a year, that becomes $122. How likely is it that the car will be vandalized or broken into over the course of a year, and what would the losses be for such an event?

More importantly, what is the practical payout from having the video footage of someone loitering in the vicinity of your car? Or even braking into it? Or dinging it?
Under most circumstances - ZERO !

I agree the drain is rather deep but also I enjoy the benefits and protection it offers when/if something happens.

If your car got broken into, it will still be a misc paperwork annoyance to most police departments. With, or without the video (that will likely be inadmissible in court). Most police departments have better things to which they dedicate their limited resources, then petty property theft.

Same for someone dinging the car.
It all boils down to whether an insurance company cares to view the video and accept it as evidence, and then spin up its resources to act on it in any way. For all claims under your comprehensive deductible, I don't see any reasons why they would.

IMHO, this feature consumes way too much power for regular use. It might be worthwhile when parking in some high-risk locations, though.

Agreed, I don't use it for EXACTLY those reasons.
Even at high-risk locations.

I am afraid to shut Sentry down now because I know the moment I do something will happen :(

How did you survive all those years before SM?
:eek:

a

• Disagree
Reactions: Cnasty and srs5694
Thats like saying how did we survive as a society before cell phones!!

You have an enhancement and technology that lends an opportunity for details into what occurred in an event. I will take that 100 times out of 100 versus walking up to a car and having zero idea what occurred to cause the damage or be broken into.

Regardless of the specific outcome related to police, insurance or the like.

Doesnt mean i cant complain about the implementation and current form of the technology and hope for improvement.

I leave a Model 3 parked in a garage for a few weeks at a time when I am travelling and can't use Sentry Mode. I think Tesla has a issue with their security camera function here.

Put down the Koolaid and think about it for a minute. My Blink home monitor camera can do motion detection, take video clips and upload it to the cloud on 2 AA batteries that last 1-2 years. Tesla uses a few cameras, but really?

But can your Blink cam do 0-60 in 3.3 seconds?

Car is awake while running sentry mode and Tesla use vision and neural network to detect object that equals power usage.

Your Blink Cam uses Passive Infrared Sensor which is totally different than what Tesla is doing.