Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sentry hasn't worked for months for me. I'm now on 25.7 and it still doesn't work: 2021 LR DM with radar. Every once in a LONG while, I'll get 1 sentry event and it's me when I come back to the car. In most of those situations, dozens of other people have walked right past my car (and sometimes parked next to it). And I never get a sentry event except maybe 1 out of 10 times when it "wakes up" enough to get one on me when I return to the car.

Only time it worked was on the initial/old (something like) 2020.48 version that came on the car when I got it in March. Ever since the first update after that, it has never worked again.

Mike

well i just sorted this very issue out... i have a 2020 model 3p dash cam did work and then suddenly would not after reformatting my drive in the car as a quick way to delete all the footage... after this it never recorded anything again.. yesterday i took the drive out and reformatted in on my computer.. then put it back in the car to reformat it again proper... this time it worked like this... it looked like it was working.. but no.. it was only accessible.. it never actually recorded any footage even tho it would say events happened... so i took out and checked the files on the computer... it said it had files but they all seemed corrupted... so i took out the little hide away box to hide the ssd... to make sure that wasnt the issue... nope still the same function says an event happened but nothing recorded... so i just grabbed a little 16gb usb stick... (usb 2.0 old school) formatted it in the car and BOOM worked flawlessly... sooo its likely something to do with the usb versions... ordering me a large one today... (btw the other drive works fine on the computer which is what led to this path.) (try a usb 2.0 if you cant get anything to work and see if that fixes your issue they are farely cheap on amazon.. )

well i just sorted this very issue out... i have a 2020 model 3p dash cam did work and then suddenly would not after reformatting my drive in the car as a quick way to delete all the footage... after this it never recorded anything again.. yesterday i took the drive out and reformatted in on my computer.. then put it back in the car to reformat it again proper... this time it worked like this... it looked like it was working.. but no.. it was only accessible.. it never actually recorded any footage even tho it would say events happened... so i took out and checked the files on the computer... it said it had files but they all seemed corrupted... so i took out the little hide away box to hide the ssd... to make sure that wasnt the issue... nope still the same function says an event happened but nothing recorded... so i just grabbed a little 16gb usb stick... (usb 2.0 old school) formatted it in the car and BOOM worked flawlessly... sooo its likely something to do with the usb versions... ordering me a large one today... (btw the other drive works fine on the computer which is what led to this path.) (try a usb 2.0 if you cant get anything to work and see if that fixes your issue they are farely cheap on amazon.. )
btw im going to buy a usb 3.2 sdd... this is fully backwards compatible.. and should work.. if not sending it back and going usb 2.0... but before this.. im going to try to reformat my old drive with that hide away box removed... then see it if works... there may be a reformatting issue when doing it through that box... well interesting results.. .when removed from that little hide away box i plugged into the left side usb.. it picked up the sdd and then i tried to reformat.. and i get a formatting error... then i unplug it and put it into the right side usb.. and this time it worked.. it formatted and recorded video... these are the things i done to get my stuff working... maybe this will help you out too or at least give you some options to try.. also make sure the actual usb cable is GOOD cause i think that was my issue... just a crap cable...

btw im going to buy a usb 3.2 sdd... this is fully backwards compatible.. and should work.. if not sending it back and going usb 2.0... but before this.. im going to try to reformat my old drive with that hide away box removed... then see it if works... there may be a reformatting issue when doing it through that box... well interesting results.. .when removed from that little hide away box i plugged into the left side usb.. it picked up the sdd and then i tried to reformat.. and i get a formatting error... then i unplug it and put it into the right side usb.. and this time it worked.. it formatted and recorded video... these are the things i done to get my stuff working... maybe this will help you out too or at least give you some options to try.. also make sure the actual usb cable is GOOD cause i think that was my issue... just a crap cable...
None of these things worked consistently turns out a tesla tech recommend that every time you get a firmware update.. you should reset your car..
(holding down the left and right scroll wheels for about 1-2mins untill the tesla logo appears on the screen.. this ACTUALLY fixed my issue.)