Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OD: 9/6
Specs: MYLR, White/Blk Int., Gemini, Tow Hitch, FSD.

After ordering, I did not have an EDD for weeks but just THIS WEEK i see an EDD of March-April!! 😭😭

Does completing your profile (ie. financial portion, insurance) push you up in the queue?? My SA told me to wait to fill that out because the financial is only good for 60days…

But I read elsewhere on this site that selecting ‘cash payment’ now and changing it up to finance when there is confirmed delivery date is the way to go (again, to help push up the queue) is this true?!? 🥺

I prepared to wait 3-5months for MYLR but 7months!!🤪😜
Not sure if your payment option(s) will effect your delivery date. I ordered 9/8 and have a Jan 19 - Feb 16 EDD, I selected cash payment. I've got to the point that I just check my account once a week, each time I read page 2, second to last paragraph on the order agreement to give me some 'relief'. Once TX starts pushing out MYs, I'd only guess the EDDs would shorten.

Not sure if your payment option(s) will effect your delivery date. I ordered 9/8 and have a Jan 19 - Feb 16 EDD, I selected cash payment. I've got to the point that I just check my account once a week, each time I read page 2, second to last paragraph on the order agreement to give me some 'relief'. Once TX starts pushing out MYs, I'd only guess the EDDs would shorten.
I think the same. My EDD has changed about 3 times. Went from Feb 2022; to no EDD; to end of Dec; to mid Jan-Mid Feb; to now beginning of Feb to beg of March. Its been there for about a week. I’m expecting it to change soon, probably get moved back, but every time I check I just hope it surprises me by moving up. But I do have hope that once texas starts we should get our dates moved up. I just hope I can get it early Jan so that I can get the tax credit too.

OD: 9/6
Specs: MYLR, White/Blk Int., Gemini, Tow Hitch, FSD.

After ordering, I did not have an EDD for weeks but just THIS WEEK i see an EDD of March-April!! 😭😭

Does completing your profile (ie. financial portion, insurance) push you up in the queue?? My SA told me to wait to fill that out because the financial is only good for 60days…

But I read elsewhere on this site that selecting ‘cash payment’ now and changing it up to finance when there is confirmed delivery date is the way to go (again, to help push up the queue) is this true?!? 🥺

I prepared to wait 3-5months for MYLR but 7months!!🤪😜
Same thing happened to me. 7/11 order date, selected payment option on 9/18, now edd is march-april.

I think the same. My EDD has changed about 3 times. Went from Feb 2022; to no EDD; to end of Dec; to mid Jan-Mid Feb; to now beginning of Feb to beg of March. Its been there for about a week. I’m expecting it to change soon, probably get moved back, but every time I check I just hope it surprises me by moving up. But I do have hope that once texas starts we should get our dates moved up. I just hope I can get it early Jan so that I can get the tax credit too.
I'm not banking on the tax credit. I'll take it IF it happens, just not even thinking/hoping for the 'people who know best' to get their 'chairs in a row'. They have let me down too many times ;)

Has
I'm not banking on the tax credit. I'll take it IF it happens, just not even thinking/hoping for the 'people who know best' to get their 'chairs in a row'. They have let me down too many times ;)
I feel you. With or without it I am getting my Model Y. But if it does happen, supposedly it’ll go into effect Jan 1, 2022. Would be nice to be able to take advantage of it.

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
I understand that some people need to go on long trips on an EV but it doesn't make it the right kind of vehicle until car charging infrastructure evolves.
The whole idea of free standing superchargers is wrong and only exists because people need to see a traditional gas station substitute. I see the future where grocery stores and other places will lure customers with their credit cards and promotions.
"Spend $100 in our store and get 50kwh for free." or "Stay in our hotel and get...." or "sign up for our credit card and get 6 months worth of charging" You see the point.
This is when EVs will be practical for long distance trips.
We have two 3s we use for all our local and long distance travel. Y on order with EDD of end of January.

For anyone that doesn’t own a Tesla already, I need you to know the above quote is ludicrous at best. You absolutely need the supercharging network for legit road trips. Destination charging is not how you travel. It’s nice for overnight charging, but does not allow you to travel 500 miles or more in a day.

Don’t let someone fool you. The supercharging network is an insane advantage and must have for anyone going all in on EVs, which I hope everyone here does. It allows you to be oil/gas free.

We have two 3s we use for all our local and long distance travel. Y on order with EDD of end of January.
Congratulations with your Y order.

For anyone that doesn’t own a Tesla already, I need you to know the above quote is ludicrous at best. You absolutely need the supercharging network for legit road trips. Destination charging is not how you travel. It’s nice for overnight charging, but does not allow you to travel 500 miles or more in a day.
Let's honestly compare two options for long trips
OPTION 1
- takes 5 minutes to fuel
- can be fueled in any temperature
- not loosing fuel when parked
- gas tank doesn't shrink 10-15% over time.
- runs 600 miles on a single charge (RAV4)
- it's possible to have a can or two gas with you that will provide an additional 100 miles of range.

OPTION 2
- less expensive to charge
- more comfortable/fun ride

I can't wait to get my Tesla but I am realistic about what the car can and cannot do.
For short (up to 150 miles per day) daily commute everything changes and Tesla is a clear winner.

Congratulations with your Y order.

Let's honestly compare two options for long trips
OPTION 1
- takes 5 minutes to fuel
- can be fueled in any temperature
- not loosing fuel when parked
- gas tank doesn't shrink 10-15% over time.
- runs 600 miles on a single charge (RAV4)
- it's possible to have a can or two gas with you that will provide an additional 100 miles of range.

OPTION 2
- less expensive to charge
- more comfortable/fun ride

I can't wait to get my Tesla but I am realistic about what the car can and cannot do.
For short (up to 150 miles per day) daily commute everything changes and Tesla is a clear winner.
We’ve done numerous trips using our 3s, and I honestly prefer long distance road trips with a Tesla. And I’m not the only one, I can assure you. Again, the supercharger network makes this far more pleasant and easy. It’s plenty fast, while also allowing me to enjoy the trip more. I’m not a long haul truck driver racing to the next destination with a bladder the size of Texas or a piss bottle. I couldn’t travel 400 miles without stopping to pee, let alone 600. Comical.

Furthermore, you were arguing above that chargers set up in grocery stores and other local spots will be how people charge for trips. But that’s ridiculous. These are all level 2. Even if said grocery store wants to give me 50kwh for free that visit, it will take an eternity to charge.

Superchargers are absolutely the way to long distance travel. We live in MN, travel in all seasons for the record.

We’ve done numerous trips using our 3s, and I honestly prefer long distance road trips with a Tesla. And I’m not the only one, I can assure you. Again, the supercharger network makes this far more pleasant and easy. It’s plenty fast, while also allowing me to enjoy the trip more. I’m not a long haul truck driver racing to the next destination with a bladder the size of Texas or a piss bottle. I couldn’t travel 400 miles without stopping to pee, let alone 600. Comical.

Furthermore, you were arguing above that chargers set up in grocery stores and other local spots will be how people charge for trips. But that’s ridiculous. These are all level 2. Even if said grocery store wants to give me 50kwh for free that visit, it will take an eternity to charge.

Superchargers are absolutely the way to long distance travel. We live in MN, travel in all seasons for the record.
Plus you get to meet and chat with fellow Tesla owners at the supercharging stations…I’m a nerd, but this is typically a good time to me.

Last edited:

Just because it's physically hard to drive 600 miles doesn't mean 300 miles is an acceptable range forlong distance trips.

+ On a super busy gas station having 4 or 5 cars in front of you will waste 25 minutes of your time.
- Having 4 or 5 EVs in front of you means you need to find a hotel.

Just because it's physically hard to drive 600 miles doesn't mean 300 miles is an acceptable range forlong distance trips.

+ On a super busy gas station having 4 or 5 cars in front of you will waste 25 minutes of your time.
- Having 4 or 5 EVs in front of you means you need to find a hotel.
300 is plenty for me and again, many others I’ve spoken to.

Never once have I had 4-5 EVs in front of me for a road trip. This is an issue in some areas (mainly California) where the number of EVs is growing faster than they can put up superchargers and people use them for daily charging.

For travel across the rest of the country, this will not and has not happened. Again, numerous trips, no issues. We always get to our planned destination.

Yes, EV travel is slower than ICE travel. Especially compared to people who drive max miles and quick fuel, then drive max miles, rinse and repeat. My experience is that it will add about 45-90 mins extra to a 7-8hr trip. Definitely not causing me to “get a hotel”. This is flat out false.

Absolutely. For people switching from ICE to EV for trips, it’s absolutely a change in mindset, but I can bet most will be pleasantly surprised with how much more they prefer this change.
I too am from Minnesota and I am wondering what has been your experience related to winter temperature and fall in miles per full charge. How does the Y perform on 4-5” uncleared snow on the road?

I too am from Minnesota and I am wondering what has been your experience related to winter temperature and fall in miles per full charge. How does the Y perform on 4-5” uncleared snow on the road?
We’re trading in one of our 3s for a Y, which has an EDD for Feb, so I can’t answer the clearance question yet. However, both dual motor 3s are absolute champs in the winter. The low center of gravity provides for amazing handling overall. Clearance is lower, but have not had a problem yet.

Our 3s are 2018 builds, so earlier manufacturing. No heat pump like Y has. Certainly lose some mileage during the coldest parts. Below 30F, you see the biggest drops. I always track efficiencies each season. And last winter, my 3 had a 324 wh/mile with winter tires. Fair amount of city driving which brings it down as well. In comparison, summer this year, I got 234 wh/mile.

Woke up to my delivery date shifting forward again: now January 13 - February 10 (from Jan 30-February 27). Of course, in a week it might be pulled back to March, but I'll take this for now... It also strengthens my suspicion that most of us early-mid September orders are pretty likely to end up being delivered in the end of quarter scramble in late December...

Woke up to my delivery date shifting forward again: now January 13 - February 10 (from Jan 30-February 27). Of course, in a week it might be pulled back to March, but I'll take this for now... It also strengthens my suspicion that most of us early-mid September orders are pretty likely to end up being delivered in the end of quarter scramble in late December...
Mine also changes to Jan9-Feb8 from Jan23-Feb30!

Reactions: Tararua
Awesome! I wonder if this is the sort of random noise that so many EDD changes seem to be, or whether dates are firming up as we get closer and Tesla has more clarity on production timelines, Austin ramp, front and rear castings, 4680s, etc. I obviously hope it's the latter.
In the morning, mine had not changed, but after reading your email, I thought I might check too. Mine moved too by 2 weeks. Neither excited nor thrilled. After having been moved for delivery by December, delivery completion is still showing February. Elon decided to give Hertz my position in the queue. Note both you and Effe are from the mid-west. 82bert's should move too.