Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My post was primarily directed at people constantly complaining about EDD changes. EDD is exactly what it states "Estimated". My original EDD stated April and it still shows end of April to end of May. This forum is a niche within a niche and account for a fraction of a % of actual owners and orders.

I do 100% agree Tesla needs to train and educate SA's much more. Right now its a roll of the dice if you get a phenomenal SA or a bad one. My SA was promoted and she still responds quick when I reach out.

As far as paying extra for upgrades the only noticeable difference in EDD's is if you get a 100% base vehicle vs 1+ options. Paying for FSD makes a marginal difference (sometimes) but tesla and everyone else will prioritize higher profit vehicles. This is the same with legacy automakers currently. Expect to wait a long time for a base vehicle order.

As far as legacy auto makers in this market there is essentially no haggling on cars especially the hot cars. For instance my friend has had a Mach-E on order since September 21 and when he ordered his estimate from the dealer was "over a year". His other option was going out and paying 10 to 20k markup on one that was on a lot at a different dealer.
While the "loophole" was open FSD appeared to have a significant impact on EDDs and still it appears some impact now.

Estimate - an approximate calculation or judgment of the value, number, quantity, or extent of something.

Approximate - close to the actual, but not completely accurate or exact.

In many examples Tesla's EDDs fail to be approximate or close so I don't think they qualify as estimates. My EDD has been as early as February 2022 to as late November 2022. There is no date on which Tesla can deliver my vehicle in which all of these EDDs provided could be close or approximate. It is very difficult to make plans when the EDD shifts by months multiple times.

FWIW... I noticed that after submitting my trade-in photos/info and accepting the appraisal amount, the latter of my EDD range was changed shortly after to the exact last day that my 30-day appraisal was set to expire. A week or so later my EDD shrunk to a 7-day window and I was assigned a VIN. I bring this up because I truly believe Tesla may be prioritizing time sensitive orders (ie. trade-ins, Tesla financing approvals) the closer you get to your EDD.

FWIW... I noticed that after submitting my trade-in photos/info and accepting the appraisal amount, the latter of my EDD range was changed shortly after to the exact last day that my 30-day appraisal was set to expire. A week or so later my EDD shrunk to a 7-day window and I was assigned a VIN. I bring this up because I truly believe Tesla may be prioritizing time sensitive orders (ie. trade-ins, Tesla financing approvals) the closer you get to your EDD.
Did you get a text asking about a trade in? Or have you had a trade in all along and just kept renewing it?

As far as legacy auto makers in this market there is essentially no haggling on cars especially the hot cars. For instance my friend has had a Mach-E on order since September 21 and when he ordered his estimate from the dealer was "over a year". His other option was going out and paying 10 to 20k markup on one that was on a lot at a different dealer.

That's exactly what my point is. For me atleast, I chose Tesla because back then In Oct, I had hoped I wouldn't have to go through more or less the same issues I would have had if I had gone with legacy autos.

Did you get a text asking about a trade in? Or have you had a trade in all along and just kept renewing it?
I don't recemeber ever receiving a text about a trade-in. I didn't have a trade-in before and had to call to have them change my profile so that I could add a trade (I previously chose no trade-in). Once that was unlocked I was then able to add my trade and received an appraisal later that day or the following day.

I don't recemeber ever receiving a text about a trade-in. I didn't have a trade-in before and had to call to have them change my profile so that I could add a trade (I previously chose no trade-in). Once that was unlocked I was then able to add my trade and received an appraisal later that day or the following day.
Ah, that is what I was wondering. How far out did you do that? I ask as I am 28 days from start of EDD

Was told today that I should have had a VIN already and that they keep pushing it out a few days at a time and the SA had only seen that once before…I mean with all of the accounts that they have assigned to them to hear that from an SA is pretty discouraging. When even your SA doesn’t get it…
That really sucks 😪 I am sorry. Hang in there for whatever it is worth ❤️

Reactions: Antonius138
People seem to forget that they ordered a vehicle during the worst supply chain crisis the auto industry has ever seen. You are only as fast as your slowest supplier. Legacy auto makers for many models are still 12+ months behind or you are paying crazy ADM's to get one sooner. Frankly Tesla is weathering this storm way better than all the other manufacturers. Relax and you car will come.
100%. Ford is straight up not accepting any more orders for the Mach E. VM is hamstrung with Ukraine supply of components. EDD for BMW i4 is early 2023. The fact the Tesla is still cranking out units (even if they do have to leave some pieces off, LOL) is pretty amazing. Tesla is the fastest line at the grocery store. Fast, in 2022, is relative.

Reactions: DrGriz
In many examples Tesla's EDDs fail to be approximate or close so I don't think they qualify as estimates. My EDD has been as early as February 2022 to as late November 2022. There is no date on which Tesla can deliver my vehicle in which all of these EDDs provided could be close or approximate. It is very difficult to make plans when the EDD shifts by months multiple titimes.

You just have a misunderstanding on how the EDD system works. I happen to know a couple tesla employees and I have asked this. Even the main customer support call center will explain this if you inquire.

Tesla builds cars in big batches of one color. Depending on order cancelations or a rejected vehicle at a delivery center being delivered to a later order this can cause changes to the production schedule. Options that have longer leads if they are shorted parts can cause multiple date push backs such as 7 seater and tow hitch. With MYP or M3P orders they take additional priority and they get spliced into production and could cause lower end builds to get pushed to a later batch depending on how many P cars they have within that batch.

When you experience big month changes tesla calls this a place holder. That is an indication that the production schedule is being shifted around typically for your color or a few batches before yours that can cause dates to move forward or back. Usually this lasts for a few days or weeks as they move around schedules. Other issues over the past few months have been with customs hold ups at ports. In some cases items will arrive but it takes 3 to 4 weeks to release them. This can cause even more push backs in dates because they simply are short on components.

When you experience big month changes tesla calls this a place holder. That is an indication that the production schedule is being shifted around typically for your color or a few batches before yours that can cause dates to move forward or back. Usually this lasts for a few days or weeks as they move around schedules. Other issues over the past few months have been with customs hold ups at ports. In some cases items will arrive but it takes 3 to 4 weeks to release them. This can cause even more push backs in dates because they simply are short on components.

Can validate this based on my own experience as well as talking with multiple SAs in Ontario. When the EDD gets pushed out months back its usually a temporary placeholder which is why multiple people around same timeline have their EDDs moved almost at same time with almost same range. And usually those dates don't last more than 1-2 weeks.

Reactions: c77m
Well I made through another day with no EDD change or VIN.

7 days in counting until I enter my EDD window. 🙏
Mine starts this Friday and every indication is that I will get pushed back. Call me old skool but, I am a firm believer in "in order in which it was received". I mean you walk into 5 Guys and order a burger and are given a number if it is busy and then someone else walks in 10 minutes and several orders later and picks up a similar order and heads out of the store munching on fries because they had a coupon that says if they pay $100 they get to cut in line and fists are going to be flying in most stores...just sayin'

You just have a misunderstanding on how the EDD system works. I happen to know a couple tesla employees and I have asked this. Even the main customer support call center will explain this if you inquire.

Tesla builds cars in big batches of one color. Depending on order cancelations or a rejected vehicle at a delivery center being delivered to a later order this can cause changes to the production schedule. Options that have longer leads if they are shorted parts can cause multiple date push backs such as 7 seater and tow hitch. With MYP or M3P orders they take additional priority and they get spliced into production and could cause lower end builds to get pushed to a later batch depending on how many P cars they have within that batch.

Thank you. While I have seem similar descriptions before, yours does add a bit more color. However, Tesla's "estimates" still fail to be estimates. An estimate needs to be in the ballpark and Tesla is frequently out in the parking lot or well down the highway. Perhaps EDD is just as poorly named as Autopilot or Full Self Driving as neither of those items truly/fully provide what their names describe either. Just as Tesla needs reasonably accurate estimates from its suppliers Tesla's customers need reasonably accurate EDDs. Not EDDs that shift backwards and forwards by months multiple times before delivery. Furthermore part of this chaos is of Tesla's own creation and has nothing to with supply chains, cancelations, or rejected vehicles. Tesla didn't have to pop new orders with FSD to the front of the line ahead of people who'd already been waiting months. Tesla does not have to do the mad end of quarter scrambles reallocating VINs they don't think will be delivered in time. Tesla didn't have to open GigaTeaxs with a model that will do nothing to address their backlog anytime soon. Tesla does these things for Tesla and Tesla's bottom line. As a shareholder I can understand the benefit. I'll keep my shares, but I am starting to wonder if I should remain a customer. Obviously Tesla gets A LOT right or we wouldn't be trying to buy their cars. However, Tesla customer service is awful. EDD is BROKEN, buying a used Tesla from Tesla has been broken for years, and parts and service centers are already overwhelmed in my area (3 weeks in the shop to replace tie rods on my Model S!?!). Right now the bottom line says that Tesla can have crappy service. The competition isn't quite there yet and the demand shows that people aren't fed up and walking away yet. This blessed state of grace won't last forever though.

Last edited:
Thank you. While I have seem similar descriptions before, yours does add a bit more color. However, Tesla's "estimates" still fail to be estimates. An estimate needs to be in the ballpark and Tesla is frequently out in the parking lot or well down the highway. Perhaps EDD is just as poorly named as Autopilot or Full Self Driving as neither of those items truly/fully provide what their names describe either. Just as Tesla needs reasonably accurate estimates from its suppliers Tesla's customers need reasonably accurate EDDs. Not EDDs that shift backwards and forwards by months multiple times before delivery. Furthermore part of this chaos is of Tesla's own creation and has nothing to with supply chains, cancelations, or rejected vehicles. Tesla didn't have to pop new orders with FSD to the front of the line ahead of people who'd already been waiting months. Tesla does not have to do the mad end of quarter scrambles reallocating VINs they don't think will be delivered in time. Tesla didn't have to open GigaTeaxs with a model that will do nothing to address their backlog anytime soon. Tesla does these things for Tesla and Tesla's bottom line. As a shareholder I can understand the benefit. I'll keep my shares, but I am starting to wonder if I should remain a customer. Obviously Tesla gets A LOT right or we wouldn't be trying to buy their cars. However, Tesla customer service is awful. EDD is BROKEN, buying a used Tesla from Tesla has been broken for years, and parts and service centers are already overwhelmed in my area (3 weeks in the shop to replace tie rods on my Model S!?!). Right now the bottom line says that Tesla can have crappy service. The competition isn't quite there yet and the demand shows that people aren't fed up and walking away yet. This blessed state of grace won't last forever though.
Completely agree with you

Reactions: Silence88