Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Serious security issue with phone as a key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@daniel when you asked about how to use the Persistent Notification, you were replying to @LucyferSam, who is an Android user. All of my comments were about how to do this on Android since you didn't mention you wanted to know how to do it on Apple. I was explaining how @LucyferSam did it.

Yeah iOS doesn't have persistent notifications. On iOS if the car is awake (lol) you should see a fan icon, a frunk icon, and a lock icon.

Thanks, both.

So I stopped at a place where I had an errand to do, and when I came out (maybe half an hour later?) I went to the Tesla Widget. The car was asleep so I hit the refresh button and it started going around and around, and then finally gave up.

My phone will not wake up my car if it's asleep.

At my next stop I went to the widget right when I got out of the car, and the buttons were there and I was able to lock the car from the widget. Didn't bother trying to open the frunk but the button was available.

So, yes, the widget has a frunk button, but when I really need to use it the car will probably be asleep and the app/widget will not connect. The car unlocks when I pull on the handle, so the BT connection is there. And I have a cell connection on the phone and data turned on for the Tesla app. But the car seems to turn off its cell connection when it goes to sleep and that's it until I open the door. It's weird because others don't seem to have this problem. And I guess the app/widget won't use the BT connection for anything but unlocking from the door handle.

All-around poor design, if you ask me. I can live with it to be able to drive the best car on the road.

So I stopped at a place where I had an errand to do, and when I came out (maybe half an hour later?) I went to the Tesla Widget. The car was asleep so I hit the refresh button and it started going around and around, and then finally gave up.

My phone will not wake up my car if it's asleep.

At my next stop I went to the widget right when I got out of the car, and the buttons were there and I was able to lock the car from the widget. Didn't bother trying to open the frunk but the button was available.

So, yes, the widget has a frunk button, but when I really need to use it the car will probably be asleep and the app/widget will not connect. The car unlocks when I pull on the handle, so the BT connection is there. And I have a cell connection on the phone and data turned on for the Tesla app. But the car seems to turn off its cell connection when it goes to sleep and that's it until I open the door. It's weird because others don't seem to have this problem. And I guess the app/widget won't use the BT connection for anything but unlocking from the door handle.

All-around poor design, if you ask me. I can live with it to be able to drive the best car on the road.
I am not sure why they made the 3 sleep so aggressively compares to the S and X.

I am not sure why they made the 3 sleep so aggressively compares to the S and X.

Maybe to save battery. But IMO it would be better to make that a choice. If I'm going to leave the car unattended I want it to sleep and use as little power as absolutely necessary. In my daily life, when I never get anywhere near low on charge, I'd like it to remain awake so I can do stuff like open the frunk or start the climate control. Supposedly we can start climate control remotely, but I cannot because my app cannot wake the car. This should be a selection in the settings screen.