Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shipping advice for wheels. With or without tires? Which carrier?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a set of '18 Model 3 wheels, aeros and TPMS. Plan on throwing them on eBay.

The tires are very done. I watched a couple videos on how to remove a tire DIY and not sure I want the headache as I'll probably screw up the rims. Should I have them removed before shipping? What carrier is best priced for something like wheels? How did you pack & ship?

Thanks!

PXL_20220930_212515827.jpg

I have a set of '18 Model 3 wheels, aeros and TPMS. Plan on throwing them on eBay.

The tires are very done. I watched a couple videos on how to remove a tire DIY and not sure I want the headache as I'll probably screw up the rims. Should I have them removed before shipping? What carrier is best priced for something like wheels? How did you pack & ship?

Thanks!

View attachment 858825
Since the tires are trash, cutting through the sidewalls (where there's no wire reinforcement) with a reciprocating saw is an easy way to separate the wheels without damaging them.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rodney!
Since the tires are trash, cutting through the sidewalls (where there's no wire reinforcement) with a reciprocating saw is an easy way to separate the wheels without damaging them.
(Just so it's clear, I meant to cut circumferentially around the tire in the sidewall area, not inward radially toward the wheel rim - which would be dumb).

Just in case that was the reason for the downvote... 🤷‍♂️

Thanks!

View attachment 858825

Dismount and pick up some boxes from a local wheel shop. Cardboard and foam on the lip insdie the box.

Reactions: Pricedm and Rodney!
(Just so it's clear, I meant to cut circumferentially around the tire in the sidewall area, not inward radially toward the wheel rim - which would be dumb).

Just in case that was the reason for the downvote... 🤷‍♂️
Hmm... thought about doing that but a local tire shop said "it'll be hell, trust me" so maybe not. :D

Getting quotes for $60 - $80 to dismount & dispose.

Hmm... thought about doing that but a local tire shop said "it'll be hell, trust me" so maybe not. :D

Getting quotes for $60 - $80 to dismount & dispose.
If that's the total, sounds like a good deal.

What brought the idea to mind is having my local tire shop accidentally punch through the sidewall on my Pirelli Sottozero 3 snow tires - on two separate occasions. Leaves a nice, clean rectangular cut...

If you have pep boys they are usually one of the cheaper options for this sort of thing. For shipping I suggest checking out shippo. You can create an account for no cost and utilize their UPS account. This gives you access to their volume and associated low rates. It should be less than 200 to ship the set of wheels anywhere in the Continental US. Boxes can be found at big box hardware stores or even small moving companies. I suggest double boxing. If you can get a set of wheel boxes from a tire store for nothing, that would be great too.