Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several major banks and brokerages which have an equally long history of cheating their customers, in various different ways...

Disreputable brokerages and banks seem to be very good at existing for long periods and profiting.

A few thousand Wells Fargo-ites ready to work for Lynch-mob creating Andy Dufresne customer accounts on commission basis.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I think everybody here who is *certain* the SCTY deal will go through or is incorrectly referring to trading opportunities around SCTY as "arbitrage" (implying zero risk) would do well to revisit the GTAT thread over on thecontrarianinvestor.com for a reminder of how quickly things could turn very, very ugly if something unexpected occurs.

FWIW I do indeed think the deal will go through. But I would absolutely not be trading SCTY here without some insurance (e.g. far OTM puts).
Not allowed to trade derivatives, so I'm just gonna let it ride. I put merger chances up near 95% so my EV feels fine on this. Added SCTY yesterday and have another tranche ready for when I feel like the knife is done falling. Love you fed <3

Conveniently, for any large stock holders or those who want to sway the vote, it is now relatively inexpensive to buy any shares, whether freshly obtained or loaned out or whatever. They then go in and vote, and then they will be done with that requirement for them. They'll be sitting on a pile of stocks for TSLA, and will make any new decisions from that position.

That reminds me: I have to call Customer Service Monday for my brokerage regarding the shares so I can vote them. They didn't respond to my email.

Very low risk of the SEC dragging its feet..

We'll see. Given Damodaran's diatribe (
, TSLA., SCTY - Lazard, Evercore And Conflict Of interest) and the potential for ever more litigation over conflicts (CNS - Shareholder Decries Tesla-SolarCity Merger) I suspect it would be a brave bureaucrat indeed at SEC who would authorize immediately sprinkling holy water on the transaction without at least going through the motions of regulatory oversight.

The irony Monroe SS noted above should not be ignored.

• Helpful
Reactions: Wenche
I think everybody here who is *certain* the SCTY deal will go through or is incorrectly referring to trading opportunities around SCTY as "arbitrage" (implying zero risk) would do well to revisit the GTAT thread over on thecontrarianinvestor.com for a reminder of how quickly things could turn very, very ugly if something unexpected occurs.

FWIW I do indeed think the deal will go through. But I would absolutely not be trading SCTY here without some insurance (e.g. far OTM puts).

Just an amateur but I agree with you about arbitrage. Not sure the companies' situation is similar. SCTY has problems but a single supplier with a ruthless juggernaut like Apple is begging for problems. Further, though I don't think this is the reason for the merger, it's nice having a billionaire genius as chair of the board. Technically the comparison is probably correct but the circumstances are clearly dissimilar imho. And that billionaire has a bit of a backup if needed from the likes of Goldman Sachs, etc. GTAT did not.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlMc
I agree that one should not look at buying TSLA via purchasing SCTY is not risk fee, hence the market's rather large discount on SCTY.

I was around for GTAT and had a few GTAT lesos go to '0' overnight. Luckily not a large amount but it was a bitter lesson.

I do agree with Int. Professor that while SCTY could go to '0' it is a far different scenario than with GTAT.

Money where my mouth is: I am not touching TSLA and have bought SCTY. The risk/reward looks better to me buying SCTY versus TSLA at this moment.

I am not touching SCTY options. I may look at a Strangle set up next week to capture a big move, either way, Aron's TM ER.

As we all say: Be comfortable with your investments as you are laying with your money. Don't just do something because another forum member, like me, is doing it

Rocky times in general...Goid luck to all longs

I don't see how even remotely is SCTY similar to GTAT.

GTAT won contract with Apple but failed to deliver on producing large size sapphire screens that were supposed to be used in the new iPhones. Apple let a novice like GTAT make an impossible promise, then straddle them with draconian covenants, and then wash off their hands with minimal loss. If any, that incident demonstrated the extreme risk taking by GTAT Mgmt and the ruthless attitude of Apple towards its suppliers. Apple didn't even express its intent buy GTAT. So, comparison with SolarCity makes no sense.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: stealthology
I agree that one should not look at buying TSLA via purchasing SCTY is not risk fee, hence the market's rather large discount on SCTY.

I was around for GTAT and had a few GTAT lesos go to '0' overnight. Luckily not a large amount but it was a bitter lesson.

I do agree with Int. Professor that while SCTY could go to '0' it is a far different scenario than with GTAT.

Money where my mouth is: I am not touching TSLA and have bought SCTY. The risk/reward looks better to me buying SCTY versus TSLA at this moment.

I am not touching SCTY options. I may look at a Strangle set up next week to capture a big move, either way, Aron's TM ER.

As we all say: Be comfortable with your investments as you are laying with your money. Don't just do something because another forum member, like me, is doing it

What is 'Aron's TM ER' ?

Why would you not consider SCTY options? A synthetic SCTY long using 2018 LEAPs (long call/short put at the same strike price) is cheaper than a normal share now. You got to be careful though as the spread is huge.

Why would you not consider SCTY options? A synthetic SCTY long using 2018 LEAPs (long call/short put at the same strike price) is cheaper than a normal share now. You got to be careful though as the spread is huge.
When the merger happens what happens to SCTY LEAPS? No liquidity?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: drinkerofkoolaid

For the sake of transparency I have no info to back me up, and I don't like the deal so are probably letting my biases cloud my judgement.

Arbitrage is getting too big for the big investors not too capitalise.

The big players appear to have gone quiet speaking on the deal - I wonder if no one wants to attach themselves to it?

The rocket failure may refocus Elon and others on the big picture and make them realise that Model 3 and Tesla generally still has a way to go.

I don't see how even remotely is SCTY similar to GTAT.

GTAT won contract with Apple but failed to deliver on producing large size sapphire screens that were supposed to be used in the new iPhones. Apple let a novice like GTAT make an impossible promise, then straddle them with draconian covenants, and then wash off their hands with minimal loss. If any, that incident demonstrated the extreme risk taking by GTAT Mgmt and the ruthless attitude of Apple towards its suppliers. Apple didn't even express its intent buy GTAT. So, comparison with SolarCity makes no sense.

The point though was more broad than a direct comparison between SCTY and GTAT.

All that's being said is that unexpected events can quickly change a company outlook much faster than we can react.

GTAT looked like a sure thing until the iPhone 6 reveal and many investors paid a heavy price for their assumptions.

For the sake of transparency I have no info to back me up, and I don't like the deal so are probably letting my biases cloud my judgement.

The big players appear to have gone quiet speaking on the deal - I wonder if no one wants to attach themselves to it?

The rocket failure may refocus Elon and others on the big picture and make them realise that Model 3 and Tesla generally still has a way to go.

There is no evidence to suggest the merger won't happen. Analyst commentary, and the views from journalists who have a very limited understanding of Tesla or SolarCity doesn't count as evidence.

If the deal isn't approved, Elon and other major stake holders will probably take SolarCity private, and the merger will take place anyway, This message is a PSA for all the naysayers and 草尼马, who appear to be very misinformed and/or biased.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden and EnzoXYZ

This is what I would say.

A lot of this can be irrationality or FUD. TSLA has dropped to 140ish Feb this year and it rose to 260 in as little as 2 months I think. Market gets it wrong all the time (of course sometimes market gets it right). Will the market get it right this time ? I do not know, but I hope not. I do see TSLA+SCTY merger leads to a lot of synergy.

Lets look at who are the biggest players,

FMR, LLC - 15.48% TSLA
Baillie Gifford and Company - 9.76% TSLA
Price (T.Rowe) Associates Inc - 7.85% TSLA

NONE of them have spoken of anything to the public any time between June 22 - Now. Even after Musk said he is convinced that the merger will go through. Elon Musk now convinced Tesla-SolarCity merger will pass after talking to major investors

We still do not know what caused the rocket failure. So its really too early to say, maybe this has nothing to do with SpaceX rocket, maybe this is just a human error. I guess you get this one from the news which usually exaggerates, distorts and sometimes makes up stuff just to get the clicks !.

• Disagree
Reactions: drinkerofkoolaid

Sorry for all the 'typos'. Old age and iPhone is not a good combo for expressing one well. Not drinking, although the market action today makes me think I should :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.