Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a worry that the capital raise wont be fully covered? Some are estimating 3-10 billion, that's a lot more then previous capital raises.
That estimate is absurd, 3 billion is likely more than the max by a decent margin. (I do realize it isn't you making that estimate) Tesla's exceptional return on capital and their continued mention of using free cash flow to fund as much as possible basically rules out numbers that large.

Reactions: DrJohnM
I agree, but it seems even more irrational to me. Investors seem to be behaving as though the new goals are a negative. Definitely an opportunity (that could get even better soon).

I'm planning to do the same thing (more LEAPS, something like J28 300's). Trying to predict in the short-medium term, when sanity will return is too difficult for me. Would you mind sharing which LEAPS you bought, J18's (?) and the strike prices? Do you have an exit strategy?

Curt, I would also like to know the expiry/strike point with your, IIRC, initial foray into TSLA LEAPS.
Today I bought a small amount of trading stock and LEAPS: J17 300s (for max leverage..but also max loss potential) and DITM
J17 150s and J18 150s. I caught them as 'falling knives' so they are down about 4% on average at the end of the day.

Julian - I have personally entered into performance based compensation for workers at contract manufacturing organizations. So thank you, but I do have experience with both cash and option based arrangements. For multiple reasons, including a variety of legal ones, Telsa will need the cooperation of the supplier as the employees there are not Tesla employees.

If you have direct relevant experience I think we would all benefit from understanding. I think this board would also benefit from you replying to ideas, and not to the participants.

You are merely thinking by analogy. Obviously they would need the cooperation of the supplier.

Experience. For example when I designed the live launch of the Compaq Presario Home PC, what I did for them was to built a road-show that toured major shopping malls with a giant movie-prop scale replica Compaq Presario personal computer with a dance show on its giant keyboard in front of its giant screen that was of course linked to an actual computer so we could pull crowds and segue in and out of a computer demo without boring people. I got it co-sponsored by Disney for the launch of the Lion King and by Microsoft, Intel and EA Games. What we also did was arrange for Compaq to pay staff in local computer stores an override commission from Compaq to the store staff to incentivize them to take a training class and to process the early adopter leads we sent them in the form of crowds of live customers that we had introduced to the concept and possibilities of owning a fully multimedia capable Compaq home computer.

This is a rudimentary example from my personal experience of incentivizing third party staff. It happens in retail. Most likely bonus commissions and top dealership salesman holidays etc paid for by the OEMs happens in automotive retail. Anyway. Naturally in the case of my personal experience with this, the stores were delighted to have a third party train and pay its staff to get more excited than usual to create sales turnover and as a result - guess what - the stores across the major malls prepared for our events by placing large wholesale orders with Compaq for computers and merchandising them better than other computer brands and some stores stocked them for the first time and probably thereafter for the useful life of the Compaq brand.

I hope this little segment of my life history was useful.

Personally I prefer things that just make sense on their own merits. Huge fallacy to think that just because you never heard of something personally it can't exist. Most things statistically speaking fall into that category for everyone especially when it comes to things that have yet to be done or invented, which is most likely most things given time enough for current inventions to fall below 50% of all inventions.

• Disagree
Reactions: FANGO and WarpedOne
Sort of. I'd recommend waiting, likely a few months for it to reclaim 265. Then, I likely only sell a few percent of it to capture the gains.

I also recommend buying at 200 and below, even the current 210 is wonderful, but I don't have quite as much dry powder as I'd like, so I'm hanging on for 200/180/160 for my tranches.
If it's truly destined for 200-160, wouldn't it be wise to sell now and wait for said range?

If it's truly destined for 200-160, wouldn't it be wise to sell now and wait for said range?
If we really knew that, sure, but we don't. The price is low now and mostly likely it'll be far higher 2 years from now, so it's a good opportunity now to buy some. Where the bottom is in between is anyone's guess. Buy some now, if it goes lower buy a little more.

You can not guarantee anything because the whole thing is unlikely. Heavy mature risk-averse industries don't use stock based compensations for other people than high-up management. It is a startup thing, not industrial. Maybe it is much more common in US even among mature industry which I doubt, but Tesla are not going to use only US suppliers.

EU Countries have been discussing changes to tax laws to make it more common as some of the recognize the problem. From what I heard about Japan and other parts in Asia like China it is not common there either outside of startups. So the employee contracts and the culture at suppliers prevents this from happening, which was my point from the start.

So, no Tesla can't pay a large part of the project managers at suppliers with stock options, and then eskw8 also said it was not possible legally without changes and yet you still say you can guarantee it.

I think a bonus to the suppliers are on the table and let's say it was Tesla stock based (which it won't be for most if not all of them). But even in that case just a subset of the suppliers would agree to those terms and it is not wise to exclude the other suppliers based on that restriction. And even if all this happened to think that Elon deliberately pushed the share price down because of this is very far out.

Please stop arguing. Tesla is not a heavy mature industry and I am not talking about Tesla handing options to companies - least of all ones that can be described and heavy mature industries!

I am talking about a pass through equity-backed options bonus plan for the teams of people that Musk is meeting with in the Tesla supply chain who will be working on Tesla projects for other companies "harder than they have ever worked before because they all want to be part of the Tesla Model 3 program".

It is doable. Its smart. It explains why Tesla would be talking about issuing equities while busy deliberately tanking their own stock. That would be to back a third party incentive scheme to seriously lock suppliers into not screwing up the work or the timeline on the Model 3. They must not have a cock up. What do you expect them to do? Wish harder that doing the same thing as they did with the X will just work better because lady luck has arrived? Are you kidding me?

I cannot hear it any more about how traditional this and that makes doing the ultimately smart mission critical thing that passes the entire Occam's Razor test like no other explanation for Tesla's actions is improbable as far as you are concerned.

I sure hope you got those lower than 213. Selling for a loss in fear is exactly why people lose money in the markets.

I got them at 212.

But if you want something to feel tingly over, last week I bought at 250 and had to bail out at 238. It's been a bad couple of weeks.

So you'd recommend waiting (potentially months) for it to reclaim $220s?

Depends on what kind of trader/investor you are. If you think it'll drop lower, you could always sell now, rebuy at a lower price. It's a risk, and it'll suck to lose out on the amount difference loss, but you could have more shares. I sold 44 shares last week as it was falling and was able to buy 50 today. I sold them all today, of course. I seem to have bad luck with keeping shares overnight.

If you think it'll increase in price, then you can just wait it out.

You are merely thinking by analogy. Obviously they would need the cooperation of the supplier.

Experience. For example when I designed the live launch of the Compaq Presario Home PC, what I did for them was to built a road-show that toured major shopping malls with a giant movie-prop scale replica Compaq Presario personal computer with a dance show on its giant keyboard in front of its giant screen that was of course linked to an actual computer so we could pull crowds and segue in and out of a computer demo without boring people. I got it co-sponsored by Disney for the launch of the Lion King and by Microsoft, Intel and EA Games. What we also did was arrange for Compaq to pay staff in local computer stores an override commission from Compaq to the store staff to incentivize them to take a training class and to process the early adopter leads we sent them in the form of crowds of live customers that we had introduced to the concept and possibilities of owning a fully multimedia capable Compaq home computer.

This is a rudimentary example from my personal experience of incentivizing third party staff. It happens in retail. Most likely bonus commissions and top dealership salesman holidays etc paid for by the OEMs happens in automotive retail. Anyway. Naturally in the case of my personal experience with this, the stores were delighted to have a third party train and pay its staff to get more excited than usual to create sales turnover and as a result - guess what - the stores across the major malls prepared for our events by placing large wholesale orders with Compaq for computers and merchandising them better than other computer brands and some stores stocked them for the first time and probably thereafter for the useful life of the Compaq brand.

I hope this little segment of my life history was useful.

Personally I prefer things that just make sense on their own merits. Huge fallacy to think that just because you never heard of something personally it can't exist. Most things statistically speaking fall into that category for everyone especially when it comes to things that have yet to be done or invented, which is most likely most things given time enough for current inventions to fall below 50% of all inventions.

Look, I fully agree with you that incentive based compensation is a powerful and motivating tool. What I was pointing out was that Telsa granting stock options (instead of cash) to 3rd party employees is very difficult. I'm sure there is a way to make it happen, despite my personal inability to do exactly this, but I'm not sure it is really worth it. I have no idea why you would think that I haven't heard of this when I am directly telling you that I have tried to implement the exact same thing you described.

Go try to explain the value of Tesla options to line workers at auto part supplier factories. Then cut whatever value you think the options are in half and offer that as a bonus in cash. Which one do you think they will take? Telsa could make the commitment to cash bonuses now and sell the stock to fund it when the supplier hits the goal.

Reactions: Lessmog
Cramer: Elon Musk getting away with financial murder

Quote:

But we've never seen the likes of Elon Musk in our lives. Musk, the CEO of Tesla makes a total mockery of the process, picking numbers that suit him, and he's not in the least concerned about the consequences of being wrong.
And:

Without government subsidies for electric cars, Tesla is a goner.

He credits Anton Wahlman for calculating that Tesla "loses >$19,000 per car". Concludes with:

Elon Musk can say or do pretty much anything he wants, because he has demonstrable demand for his product.​

Last edited:
Anyone think there's a chance that TSLA is already well on their way to arranging an equity raise with another firm rather than the open market? I'm no expert but it seems like there's probably a few companies that wouldn't mind 10% of TSLA in exchange for 3 billion (Google, Apple, Honda, Ford, Uber etc).

Bond raise, not equities, and there is no need for them to approach potential competitors. Plenty of pure investment capital out there.

Reactions: Lessmog and STARR X
Look, I fully agree with you that incentive based compensation is a powerful and motivating tool. What I was pointing out was that Telsa granting stock options (instead of cash) to 3rd party employees is very difficult. I'm sure there is a way to make it happen, despite my personal inability to do exactly this, but I'm not sure it is really worth it. I have no idea why you would think that I haven't heard of this when I am directly telling you that I have tried to implement the exact same thing you described.

Go try to explain the value of Tesla options to line workers at auto part supplier factories. Then cut whatever value you think the options are in half and offer that as a bonus in cash. Which one do you think they will take? Telsa could make the commitment to cash bonuses now and sell the stock to fund it when the supplier hits the goal.

Please. The whole point is to link the value of the work to the value of Tesla and to set it on the non-GAAP non-Cash side of the equation. The secondary benefit is to addict the best workers to working for Tesla rather than just for cash from whatever source.

Elon knows the value of a low stock price. Fresh in his mind he just converted a bunch of options at the 2016 bottom. If you are going to create this kind of a scheme at the lowest cost you tank your stock and then issue the scheme.

What do you get out of arguing this point? That it's difficult? Who cares about difficult? What about the difficulties of suppliers that are not laser focused on Tesla's priorities and blow up the entire company by missing deadlines and producing crap - that needs to be great and in huge volumes on a traditionally impossible ramp. Surely the first thing to go out of the window is traditional ways of getting that done that make it impossible?

Unless someone has a genuinely better idea, the alternative is to conclude that Elon does not know how to manage a fund raiser in the best interests of Tesla despite repeated proof of the exact opposite since IPO, or he mis-spoke on ER when he used the words "some equity". Do you find that to be more probable?

Last edited:
Some thoughts from a manufacturing guy a day after the conference call.

-Elon raised the risk/reward level for this stock yesterday. If this was a high risk/high reward stock before yesterday it moved up many notches for me yesterday.

-His comments about having every component ready to insource concerned me. For anyone that has worked in manufacturing and product development you know this is just about impossible. This is the time to leverage suppliers to minimize the capital expense and speed the development. A properly selected, properly managed supplier can add a lot of value. With the model 3 reservations the suppliers will be all over Tesla to get the business. The risk can be managed by having a good team to manage the suppliers. My guess is Tesla has not put much effort in this area (managing suppliers) in the past. You can't just send the drawings and specs and wait for the parts to arrive.

-Targeting the launch readiness (July 1, 2017) way ahead of a schedule is something most auto companies already do. GM is piloting the Bolt on the production line with production parts now before the fall launch. Good move by Elon realizing the production target date needs to be way sooner than the expected market launch.

-The risk is also higher for labor costs. You will need to hire a lot more people much sooner than planned. They need to be there fully trained ready to go. This will lead to lower margins and huge negative cash flows if the volume is not achieved as planned. Raw inventory sitting is one thing. People sitting and not fully utilized is throwing money out the window.

-Appreciated his comments on making manufacturing world class. Some of the best companies in the world are built on this foundation. It's not always the design but the ability to reliably produce a product at volume levels day in day out that sets them apart. Toyota and Intel come to mind. Elon is gunning for world class design and manufacturing which will set them apart. After sleeping in the factory I am sure he fully appreciates how difficult manufacturing can be to get right.

I don't think they will hit the 500K mark for 2018. Just too much too fast. I do think they will hit 70-80% of this. In 10 years hitting 350K or 500K in 2018 will not have mattered as even if they hit 70% of 500K they will be totally dominating the EV market. They will have gained economies of scale in battery manufacturing that no other auto manufacturer will have.

To quote Jim Cramer of CNBC "I would not bet against Elon Musk".

Still long on Tesla.

I mean, that's literally been the message from day one, so I don't see why anyone would think it's ever going to be anything different. That's why I invested, that's why most of us should have invested, so what's the problem?

I have no idea why everyone turned so suddenly (well, I do, it's because the stock went down for no good reason), but that ER was great and the call was even better. The stock market is extremely wrong on this one. It was wrong when it was only up 4% in AH yesterday, too. Maybe it will keep being wrong, I don't know. But it's definitely wrong.

edit: yes, I agree that Elon needs to learn to stop overpromising. But this was all still great news, even discounted by 50% (which is way worse of a discount than I expect).

I like your first two paragraphs, not the last. There is no button choice for that, but I wanted you to know that I was thinking it because it's the thought that counts. (Calling for an official 'like 2/3rds button')

Concerning the last, Elon did NOT over promise in the ER. In fact, he quite emphatically said they'd miss the impossible target and people would get that wrong - which you just did.

Status
Not open for further replies.