Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Onshore Texas salt formations might be a better place for the nursery run at this ......

1.2 million cubic meters of compressed Hydrogen at 189 bar (atmospheres)
what could possibly go wrong?
will what happens be proceeded by a lot of fracking type induced earthquakes?
manmade tsunami's and low lying cities getting wet
will it be visible from space?

1.2 million cubic meters of compressed Hydrogen at 189 bar (atmospheres)
what could possibly go wrong?
will what happens be proceeded by a lot of fracking type induced earthquakes?
manmade tsunami's and low lying cities getting wet
will it be visible from space?
To be fair to Tractabel that is relatively small in oil & gas terms, and salt cavern storage is not uncommon. And a lot of salt cavern work has nothing to do with O&G. Whilst a certain amount of seismic activity is inevitable with any of this stuff subsurface (all mechanical activity underground is, at some level, a seismic event) it ought to be well below detectable levels as it is not really like the sort of 'fraccing' you are thinking of. So in general terms I don't really have an issue with the fairly standard O&G part of the technology. Mind you the 189-bar they talk about is the subsurface pressure, and it is possible that the peak injection pressure might be higher (or lower, it depends on various factors) and personally a 600-bar wellhead injection pressure (ITHP) would be quite ordinary for O&G. Doing it with H2 is inevitably more tricksy in some respects of course.

If you look at the words they are already backing away from the poster-child of intermittent H2 manufacture only during excess wind periods. Instead they are now envisaging continuous H2 production with this storage just being buffering to allow min-sizing of the export pipeline etc. Frankly imho the economics of H2 is pants in everything I've ever looked at, depending entirely on subsidy to close the investment case. Yeah, I can do anything with other people's money.

This gives you a feel for the sort of $%^^&* the politicians guzzle re H2 :

"in a video filmed shortly before the UK hosted the Cop26 climate conference, Boris Johnson strolls alongside Jo Bamford and his father, the JCB boss, Anthony Bamford. Behind them is a JCB digger, and a big green bus is parked just across from the Houses of Parliament for a photocall. The prime minister quizzes the men about the economics of switching engines from fossil fuel to hydrogen. “It’s the same cost as running it on diesel,” Jo Bamford replies. “It’s already the same.”

As we know this is absolute horlicks. More background on these (and many others like him) is at

The 20MW class are coming .......... and this sort of wind power is what will keep the lights on in mid-winter (and storage), not solar:

By way of comparison, here is the last 12-months of production/import/export/consumption data for my own house. As you can see my own PV system is significantly overbuilt vs my own consumption. Even so for the mid-3-months of Winter (i.e. Nov/Dec/Jan) I cannot balance my own consumption, so battery storage to get me through those three months is utterly unrealistic, and will be so for at least 40-years. Instead I buy in wind energy to fill the gap (I use Good Energy as my supplier).

1640942854778.png

Reactions: petit_bateau

>Coal-fired power generation is set to reach an all-time high in 2021
>Global coal demand may well hit a new all-time high in the next two years
>Coal production is set to rise to its highest ever levels in 2022
>Coal prices reached record highs in 2021
>Momentum behind net zero has grown, but the era of declining emissions is moving further away

😥

Edit: just noticed this was already posted in this thread on Dec 17. Feel free to ignore.

• Informative
Reactions: adiggs and navguy12
There are plenty of solar and "end of coal watch" threads in the Energy forum, can we keep this thread to primarily oil themes? Maybe we need an "investors fossil fuel death watch" thread to track the electricity production transition?

Big week for oil and oil stocks. XOM is back up above $70 and floating higher than where it left off pre-pandemic. CVX is doing equally well and 2024 put premiums have come down quite a bit.

Bought a few CVX 2024 $80p @ $4.20 this morning, continuing my ramping quarterly purchases strategy. The pricing on Fidelity now somehow shows $2.26, but I think that's just the lowest current bid. Threw in an order at $2.35 for more just in case. I have to think an oil sector mega-crunch will be coming at some point in the next two years and hope to exit these cheap puts at 5x or so.

SCO(Bloomberg ultra-short oil ETF) is at a 52-week low today @ ~$11 as well. With OPEC readying for a supply increase in February, might be able to buy some of this soon and catch a big WTI/Brent correction. Though the market for oil futures certainly feels bulletproof at the moment.

• Helpful
Reactions: ABCTG and adiggs
There are plenty of solar and "end of coal watch" threads in the Energy forum, can we keep this thread to primarily oil themes? Maybe we need an "investors fossil fuel death watch" thread to track the electricity production transition?
If you'd like to pick a suitable thread then I'll happily adopt it, just let me know which one :)

In the last two weeks nearly every SP trigger I set for an oil & gas company has hit my inbox. Bought a couple CVX puts, but having a hard time pulling the trigger on xom or oxy puts. Not sure why.

It sure feels like Wall Street wants crude above $80 and will have no problem keeping it there for a while.

Do with that what you will. I bought some SCO today at $10.25 and will grab some more tomorrow/Friday if it goes lower.

Hoping TSLA 4Q earning spike happens qui kly so I can funnel some proceeds into XOM short positions. Anyone have an opinion on the best bear spreads to go with rather than just buying 2024 XOM puts?

If you'd like to pick a suitable thread then I'll happily adopt it, just let me know which one :)
Never did get a suggestion so I'll stay with here for the time being ....

The Scottish offshore wind licencing round results just in are very relevant to all USA seabords, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, and some France and Med littorals.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Never did get a suggestion so I'll stay with here for the time being ....

The Scottish offshore wind licencing round results just in are very relevant to all USA seabords, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, and some France and Med littorals.

You've received several suggestions on more appropriate threads. Please go there.