Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sick and tired

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sick and tired of flat tires. I’ve owned a 2019 MX with 22” wheels for about 4 years now and had at least 8 flat tires all from nail. I love the car, but knowing that you can get a flat tire any time makes me nervous while driving the car. That being said, I want to change the wheels to a 20” or 19”, wanted to see if I can buy OEM with all season tires from Tesla? Didn’t see any options other than winter tires. Also, has anyone experienced issues with Tesla service for aftermarket wheels? Do they even install aftermarkets for you?

It won’t. The thickness of the actual tire rubber that the nail would penetrate is no different.

If OP was denting rims or something, that would be different. Different size rims and tires might do something for range, but unless they are going to get truck tires or something, getting smaller rims is not going to do anything for nails in tires.

We've been having issues lately with screws in tires...but in retrospect, we've been driving near some construction areas. In response, we're going to change our routes to avoid those areas for a while and hope things improve.

i had 22s on my Audi RS7 and i had two buckled alloys and many flats, i find that 22s is just not road friendly especially if the roads are harsh liken the ones in the UK.

However if the nail is in the centre that can be repaired

That’s true, but I’ve never had this many flat tires with other cars I’ve owned in the past. Hoping the thicker tires on smaller wheels help.
On a different note, there seems to be a distinctly higher prevalence of deaths in the state of Florida. Upon closer assessment, a commonality emerged among this cohort; all drank at least one cup of coffee a day. The only logical conclusion is “coffee kills”. A correlation of “old age” was dismissed as it’s too obvious and not interesting.

My MXP had a rear tire go flat on the interstate riding on 20's with A/S tires 2 weeks ago, which was 2 weeks after taking delivery. Called Tesla roadside and they towed my car home. The next day mobile service came out with a new tire and wheel which ended up costing me around $468. The tech said whatever I ran over on the interstate (hole in the tread) also ejected the object through the sidewall.

They didn't charge me for a new wheel, they just swapped it out since my car was basically new.

Reactions: macd1995
There are also a lot of tiny brains (and other body parts) that don't like Teslas existing - and they might be intentionally placing nails / screws in your travel path while your car is parked.

Vandalism is definitely a thing too.

Do NOT buy tires from the service center though - these are not magical vehicles. Get whatever wheels you'd like to have (Tsportline are pretty good but I haven't seen a real change in range / performance with them) and then go to Discount Tire or your favorite local tire shop to get new shoes. Let them fix the flats, that's what a real road hazard warranty is for. Stay away from the stealerships, for exactly that reason: They only want your money, all of it.

There are also a lot of tiny brains (and other body parts) that don't like Teslas existing - and they might be intentionally placing nails / screws in your travel path while your car is parked.

Vandalism is definitely a thing too.

Do NOT buy tires from the service center though - these are not magical vehicles. Get whatever wheels you'd like to have (Tsportline are pretty good but I haven't seen a real change in range / performance with them) and then go to Discount Tire or your favorite local tire shop to get new shoes. Let them fix the flats, that's what a real road hazard warranty is for. Stay away from the stealerships, for exactly that reason: They only want your money, all of it.
A nice SC employee once told me to consider replacing my tires but have it done at Discount Tire as her (Tesla’s) price would be higher.

Reactions: geordi
The wider the tire the greater the chance of picking up a nail. Really narrow tires and will have less of chance. Though I don't let that determine what tire width I get.
When we were in Palm Springs right after we bought the car on backing out of the parking spot and driving a few hundred feet I heard a clicking noise like a rock in the tire. I got out and found a 5.8 inch bolt in the tire. I suspect someone put it there deliberately.

When we were in Palm Springs right after we bought the car on backing out of the parking spot and driving a few hundred feet I heard a clicking noise like a rock in the tire. I got out and found a 5.8 inch bolt in the tire. I suspect someone put it there deliberately.
It’s sad that some people are that bothered & threatened by Tesla. I’m sorry something like that happened to you.

Reactions: theslimshadyist