Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Significance of neurino ct - keeps beeping / resetting in box.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning all. Happy holidays.

Quick question when it comes to neurino CTs. I have had issues with performance of my system for a bit now and Tesla for the most part gives me the run around. Their last two responses / ticket closures have pretty much come back as working as normal no issue.

The question I have is what’s the significance of the neurino ct in the box. I hear the thing constantly rebooting / the chime goes off and beeps. I don’t notice a heck of a lot of change in the reporting in the app but it seems as though it’s not working properly. From what I read in the limited info online is it’s going through power cycles.

I know they are just a CT but could it cause any issues with the gateway / how the system works and more importantly if it wasn’t generating properly?

Got home and took a look at some things. Was still beeping constantly as it always does. In the middle of a grid outage in north east and getting my typical awful 1.1kw full sun production.

So I just flipped the breaker off of the neurino completely. Looked at app as well as directly on the gateway. Had no effect at all on the reporting. If it’s doing literally nothing why is it even in there? I took some screenshots of my meter info on the gateway. Maybe someone with the know how can make some sense out of it?

Looks like multiple meters are not working / not connected. Am I crazy here ?
6C126BAE-4666-4E2A-8D7E-4D5932B9751A.png
CEC6AFDC-1599-493C-BAFB-8A7A92BDE12E.png
242540E0-E99C-4451-BDFF-2C27A96E6043.png
F68A59F9-3788-4B7A-84EC-0D835D1273FE.png
E7CC8737-7768-45CE-96CA-732773E565F7.png
307D1DC7-367A-4718-9EAF-71D14827C9C0.png
40ACBE6C-4F41-4633-AADD-5D904BE97294.png
6271DB5E-B170-4163-B574-F028C6033238.png

My system was installed with just 1 CT from GW2 and system worked fine for a year. During a service appointment to replace a dead PW, they added a Neurino CT. So now the output wire from the inverter has 2 CTs on it. I also have no idea why or what it’s for.

My system was installed with just 1 CT from GW2 and system worked fine for a year. During a service appointment to replace a dead PW, they added a Neurino CT. So now the output wire from the inverter has 2 CTs on it. I also have no idea why or what it’s for.
Yea no clue either. But does seem to impact what my powerwalls do. I was watching it more closely. When it disconnects the app shows less generation then the inverters do. And instead of charging the powerwalls (as I’m Set to 100% backup) it is sending to my house along with the grid.

Anyone familiar with how the setup of the cts should be in the gateway ?attaching pic of inside my gateway to see the CTs maybe helps ? Not sure what load / site etc should be configured as. The cts have always been an issue. They even came out to fix it once as it was over reporting usage and generation. I’m leaning on towards the neurino being bad.

BB72AB4C-60C9-4934-B161-D54459643F70.jpeg

I have a Gateway 1 and two of my Neurio CTs measure solar and two measure the site feed. As I understand it, Gateway 2 has built-in CTs (visible above the breaker in your picture), so you don't need the Neurio to measure your site loads unless you have loads outside of the Gateway. In addition, I assume the Gateway can probably talk to the Powerwall+ inverter directly to find production, so would only need a Neurio if there are other inverters in the system.
If your Neurio weren't working and were necessary for your system, I would expect solar and/or site power to be underreported in the app. Given that the house load is computed as site power minus solar power, I would expect reporting of unusual house loads as well, depending on which parts are underreporting. I would expect the numbers to be correct at night with no non-backed-up loads running.

If the neurio is beeping, it thinks it is not connected to the gateway, which mayor may not be true. Flipping the neurio breaker on a neurio that is already "out of communication" with the gatewayisn'y going to change the production numbers.

Either your local WiFi signal strength at the neurio is low (do you have the mini antenna extender cable installed to get the antenna out of the metal enclosure?) or you need a new neurio. If you can, check what signal strength your router or access point reports for the neurio and gateway, if either one or both are weak, you would need to up the WiFi configuration to correct it. If the reported signal(s) is/are strong, then you should start by having the neurio replaced.

All the best,

BG

Hey guys thx for the replies.

It looks like the app is under reporting. If I watch the neurino and listen for it to reboot / do it’s chime the app switched from charging to standby for the power walls. So it seems as though it’s connected but dripping and reconnecting. My mesh network is right next to the thing and all my other devices are great connection. Where do you connect the neurino. , in the gateway ? I assume it’s connecting to the gateway wifi and not my home network ? Tempted to try and remove the neurino from the remote meters / cts and readd it.

I do have 3 powerwalls and 3 inverters. I believe the neurino is on one of the inverters and the gateway ct does the site and the other 2 inverters. If the neurino is not connected it seems to lose about the same power that inverter 1 is actually generating. I’ll have to get in the box and see what one it’s on.

At this rate my batteries are not even charging even at 100% backup set in app.

Opened the box for the inverters / powerwalls / and neurino. Didn’t touch anything for obvious reasons but did get a chance to see what the cts are doing. Looks like I have 2 CTs plugged into the neurino. 1 go to inverter 1 and the other to inverters 2/3. Not sure why they don’t just add one for each since the neurino has 4 possible cts?

They are plugged into ports 1 / 3. In the gateway setup it shows port 1 failing 0v with errors. So it’s not reading anything.

Does it matter what lines the cts are on ? For inverter 1 it’s on the black line for 2/3 it’s on the red.
54637DAE-3225-4E8D-99C5-7B42FDC095CF.jpeg

Attachments

• 5162580B-7AAB-4E50-9976-345D125C8CA2.jpeg
    5162580B-7AAB-4E50-9976-345D125C8CA2.jpeg
    515.3 KB · Views: 43
At this point I’m done tinkering. The ct1 in gateway was failed. Reporting 0v. I switched it to 2/3 and flipped it as it was reporting negative power. It’s now at least showing correct amount of power generating.

The neurio keeps disconnecting from wifi. I tried to flip breaker and connect to its own hotspot to configure it or at least look at the setup and it won’t connect at all.

Seems as tho the WiFi is messed up on it all together. Apparently the powerwalls will only charge when it’s connected and reporting correctly. It looks like the system is at least generating power but it’s going to home or to grid when I’m not using all of the solar up. Once it connects briefly to the network it starts charging the powerwalls.

At this point I’m done tinkering. The ct1 in gateway was failed. Reporting 0v. I switched it to 2/3 and flipped it as it was reporting negative power. It’s now at least showing correct amount of power generating.

The neurio keeps disconnecting from wifi. I tried to flip breaker and connect to its own hotspot to configure it or at least look at the setup and it won’t connect at all.

Seems as tho the WiFi is messed up on it all together. Apparently the powerwalls will only charge when it’s connected and reporting correctly. It looks like the system is at least generating power but it’s going to home or to grid when I’m not using all of the solar up. Once it connects briefly to the network it starts charging the powerwalls.
The WiFi between the gateway and a neurio is done directly, apparently via the IP address, unfortunately a WiFi repeater usually ends up showing a different address. There are several folks here that have successfully gotten a neurio to work via a WiFi repeater, but not all repeaters can hold a particular IP for a particular device. If get one that does so, you then need to program the gateway with the repeater's version of the MAC address.

Personally, I am not overly impressed with the neurio communications setup.

If your CT is reporting 0V to the gateway, then yes, either the CT coil has failed, or the wire has come loose at the neurio connector, or the neurio A to D converter circuit is having an issue.

All the best,

BG

The WiFi between the gateway and a neurio is done directly, apparently via the IP address, unfortunately a WiFi repeater usually ends up showing a different address. There are several folks here that have successfully gotten a neurio to work via a WiFi repeater, but not all repeaters can hold a particular IP for a particular device. If get one that does so, you then need to program the gateway with the repeater's version of the MAC address.

If your CT is reporting 0V to the gateway, then yes, either the CT coil has failed, or the wire has come loose at the neurio connector, or the neurio A to D converter circuit is having an issue.

All the best,

BG
Again thx for the help. Forum is awesome.

I have an eero mesh network and an AP right next to it. I have a feeling it’s pulling a different subnet or something however it is connecting for a second / disconnecting over and over.

I did end up plugging in the ct from 1 into 2. Right away the gateway showed the missing solar generation. Just had to flip it as it was showing negative.

However I can’t find the neurino as a device on my network at all. Was going to set a reservation on the same subnet as the gateway but oddly nothing shows up.

I also just had the worst customer service of my life with Tesla. No exaggeration. The rep said system was working as it should and he would not forward my request up. Then badgered me about touching my system and could void warranty. He then proceeded to close my chat.

I got emails to all my Tesla contacts now so hopefully they can just take a look. It’s beeping constantly and reconnecting non stop. Worse, it won’t charge my powerwalls for more than a few seconds while it connects for that short time.

Trying times lol. Appreciate the help here more than ever.

I have an eero mesh network and an AP right next to it. I have a feeling it’s pulling a different subnet or something however it is connecting for a second / disconnecting over and over.

I did end up plugging in the ct from 1 into 2. Right away the gateway showed the missing solar generation. Just had to flip it as it was showing negative.

However I can’t find the neurino as a device on my network at all. Was going to set a reservation on the same subnet as the gateway but oddly nothing shows up.

I also just had the worst customer service of my life with Tesla. No exaggeration. The rep said system was working as it should and he would not forward my request up. Then badgered me about touching my system and could void warranty. He then proceeded to close my chat.

I got emails to all my Tesla contacts now so hopefully they can just take a look. It’s beeping constantly and reconnecting non stop. Worse, it won’t charge my powerwalls for more than a few seconds while it connects for that short time.

Also another small tidbit maybe over looked.

I did some research on the neurio , if you powercycle it you can see the ssid from the device. From what I read usually you should be able to connect to it then go to its default gateway and see the configuration. I tried on iPhone and my laptop and fails to connect all together to its ssid. Leads me to believe the WiFi on it is messed up.

All the best,

BG
Hmmmm I just realized the default gateway for a neurio is 192.168.4.1 Which is the same exact ip eero mesh networks use. I wonder if it’s conflicting. I can’t get into the neurio to look and i really don’t wanna swap my network and lose all the reservations and such on the .4 network.
I may have to try it.

Neurio are pretty light on a network as they do 1:1 direct communication with the gateway, so routers don't see a request for an address lookup or traffic being routed since they have to be on the same subnet as the gateway (hence the no repeater/extender issues). Unless you have a packet sniffer going, you probably won't find them, even when they are working properly.

Hmmmm I just realized the default gateway for a neurio is 192.168.4.1 Which is the same exact ip eero mesh networks use. I wonder if it’s conflicting. I can’t get into the neurio to look and i really don’t wanna swap my network and lose all the reservations and such on the .4 network.
I may have to try it.
Can you elaborate on this? I believe that the Tesla requirement is just that the gateway and neurio are on the same subnet.

All the best,

BG

When they added neurino to my system, they never asked for Wi-Fi password. I think it connects directly to the GW.
That isn't my experience as my devices are not "close" to each other, so they can't run on the TEG network, and they do need both the WiFi password, and reserved addresses for both the Gateway and neurio. Perhaps your devices are close enough to each other that the TEG network has reasonable signal strength at the neurio?

All the best,

BG

Opened the box for the inverters / powerwalls / and neurino. Didn’t touch anything for obvious reasons but did get a chance to see what the cts are doing. Looks like I have 2 CTs plugged into the neurino. 1 go to inverter 1 and the other to inverters 2/3. Not sure why they don’t just add one for each since the neurino has 4 possible cts?

They are plugged into ports 1 / 3. In the gateway setup it shows port 1 failing 0v with errors. So it’s not reading anything.

Does it matter what lines the cts are on ? For inverter 1 it’s on the black line for 2/3 it’s on the red.View attachment 888937
I am curious why the clamp is on one black wire while the other clamp is on two red wires but different breaker from black.
Are those 40A breakers for three inverters?
Hopefully a more knowledgeable member can shed light on this.

That isn't my experience as my devices are not "close" to each other, so they can't run on the TEG network, and they do need both the WiFi password, and reserved addresses for both the Gateway and neurio. Perhaps your devices are close enough to each other that the TEG network has reasonable signal strength at the neurio?

All the best,

BG
They added the Neurino inside GW2.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder