Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't pair neurio wifi meter with gateway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a neurio W2 wifi meter and installed in main panel. The initial pairing with gateway was sucessful and worked for about 1 month.

Then suddenly the wifi meter disconnected and cannot connect to gateway anymore.

To fix it, I removed the wifi meter from tesla app and tried to re-pair the meter but this is where I failed to do so.

In tesla app, there are 3 steps: connecting->paring->finish up. The first step of connection is success but always failed at pairing stage.

I also connected my phone to neurio wifi (PWRview-xxxxx) directly but can't open the config page (http://192.168.4.1). Maybe the meter is tesla customized so they disable the page?

The meter behaved like the instruction page. After power cycle the meter, it first has a beep, then a solid green led, that's when I can connect to its wifi. After that, the led started to flashing blue, which per their page, it is attempting to join wifi. I guess it is trying to connect to gateway wifi (TEG-xxx) as it connected before but somehow failed to connect now?

If I can factory reset neurio meter, maybe I can pair it like the first time. But my google search didn't return anything like that.

I am out of ideas now. Anyone please chime in if you have some thoughts.

Okay, now I can login neurio config page (https://192.168.4.1) after switch to chrome.

I can config which wifi to use but neurio only sees my home wifi network instead of gateway network. My understanding is that neurio should connect to gateway wifi to directly commuicate the data, but somehow it failed to do so. That's probably why it failed with flashing blue (attempting to join wifi). Not sure how to fix it, any suggestions?

I also saw in another post that I can connect them through home wifi. However, how to set it in Tesal Pro app? I can only add a wifi meter but it directly take me to search for neurio instead of input a IP.

I fixed the issue now, share it in case others needed it.
  1. Connect to neurio wifi (PWRview-xxxxx) after power on. You will hear a beap and the led light is solid green when the wifi is up.
  2. Logged into neurio config page (https://192.168.4.1), username is admin and password is the serial number you can find it on neurio meter. I used Chrome while Safari won't work
  3. In config page, connect to Tesla GW wifi (TEG-xxx). I think this is where goes wrong in my normal pairing steps.
  4. Power cycle neurio again and use the normal pairing process through Tesla Pro app.

I fixed the issue now, share it in case others needed it.
  1. Connect to neurio wifi (PWRview-xxxxx) after power on. You will hear a beap and the led light is solid green when the wifi is up.
  2. Logged into neurio config page (https://192.168.4.1), username is admin and password is the serial number you can find it on neurio meter. I used Chrome while Safari won't work
  3. In config page, connect to Tesla GW wifi (TEG-xxx). I think this is where goes wrong in my normal pairing steps.
  4. Power cycle neurio again and use the normal pairing process through Tesla Pro app.
I'm glad that you got this working. There are several long threads on neurio that actually cover this. (@jjrandorin perhaps this should be consolidated so others can find it easily?)

Just a small correction: Safari does work, but only if you use http://192.168.4.1, I.e. Safari by default will only do the the secure connection. Chrome and other browsers are often shipped with settings that allow for rollover to the insecure (http) version.

All the best,

BG

There are several long threads on neurio that actually cover this. (@jjrandorin perhaps this should be consolidated so others can find it easily?)
This is one of those topics I dont pay close attention to, as I dont have any knowledge around it. I dont know where those other threads you are suggesting this be consolidated into are (what they are called, who started them, etc... things I use to hunt down old threads I remember).

I am open to consolidating this with other threads if it makes sense, and someone points out what threads those are.

I'm working on a powerwall system myself and was looking to extend the neurio antenna to a location that's gets a little better signal from the gateway. Is that possible? Is that something I can just extend with antenna wire from the hardware store or is it something special specific to the neurio. Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this question.

I'm working on a powerwall system myself and was looking to extend the neurio antenna to a location that's gets a little better signal from the gateway. Is that possible? Is that something I can just extend with antenna wire from the hardware store or is it something special specific to the neurio. Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this question.
Yes, you can extend the antenna. I have 3 Neurios with 15M extension cables and they work fine. You'll need RP SMA connectors and 50 ohm low loss coaxial cable like RG58.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Good to know thanks for the detail.

Where did you buy yours if you dont mind me asking? Id like to buy a backup myself just in case. My first neurio kept disconnecting in cold weather and tesla replaced it. But being such a part that could fail at any point wouldnt mind having one on backup.

THanks !

Good to know thanks for the detail.

Where did you buy yours if you dont mind me asking? Id like to buy a backup myself just in case. My first neurio kept disconnecting in cold weather and tesla replaced it. But being such a part that could fail at any point wouldnt mind having one on backup.

THanks !
Your Tesla installer might sell them to you. Don't try to buy it anywhere else is what I have heard.

You need special Tesla versions, that supposedly have a slightly different firmware. I have also been told that they are a use once at one location item, and once registered there can't be used anywhere else. All I know is that when they have been replaced here, the installers just junked the old ones.

All the best,

BG

Your Tesla installer might sell them to you. Don't try to buy it anywhere else is what I have heard.

You need special Tesla versions, that supposedly have a slightly different firmware. I have also been told that they are a use once at one location item, and once registered there can't be used anywhere else. All I know is that when they have been replaced here, the installers just junked the old ones.

All the best,

BG
cool good to know! Thx