Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sirius XM with glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have premium and the glass roof and was not expecting any XM capability based on Tesla’s website and therefore do t have a subscription.

However, I can receive their promo/sales channel. Does anyone know if this is delivered via satellite as well or is it a special radio channel?

If satellite then it appears I can receive without the sunroof.

I have premium and the glass roof and was not expecting any XM capability based on Tesla’s website and therefore do t have a subscription.

However, I can receive their promo/sales channel. Does anyone know if this is delivered via satellite as well or is it a special radio channel?

If satellite then it appears I can receive without the sunroof.

It's all delivered over satellite. If you have an XM option along with AM and FM on the Radio tab of the media player, then you have XM. How old is your car? If it's a newer build perhaps Tesla has changed the location of the antenna for the all glass roof cars. It would make sense, no idea why they ever designed it so that it would only be available when you got the sunroof.

It's all delivered over satellite. If you have an XM option along with AM and FM on the Radio tab of the media player, then you have XM. How old is your car? If it's a newer build perhaps Tesla has changed the location of the antenna for the all glass roof cars. It would make sense, no idea why they ever designed it so that it would only be available when you got the sunroof.

Aug 2018 build. When I ordered it, the website still had the disclaimer that the sunroof was required for XM reception however it no longer states that. Good news I guess.

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 9.13.14 AM.png

Last edited:
I have a 2014 P85 with the pano roof that doesn't have the audio upgrade. I have the SiriusXM app on my phone. Just open the app and tap iphone icon on the cars display. Works just as if it were installed in the car. Only downside is that it isn't quite as easy to change channels. It is a good option for those of us who found the car of our dreams but didn't have high end audio option.

Our 2013 Model S had XM without a sunroof. When that Model S was replaced in 2015 as part of a factory rebuild (long story), Tesla included XM in the 2015 rebuild, even though it had no sunroof and S's at the time required a sunroof in order to have XM.

That said, at some point in the past year or so a software update removed XM from our available options. We didn't notice it immediately because we weren't subscribed at the time.