Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleep Mode - Teslafi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many things can keep car the awake, check these first: smart summon, cabin overheat protection (when it gets hot only), sentry mode on, 12V battery needs charging, a door that isn't quite shut properly etc...

TeslaFi has a lot of settings to control its polling. As an example, here are my settings, which work well (for me) and let the car sleep:

1635272126819.png

1635272140980.png

1635272171456.png

There is a lot of good information in the settings themselves as well as a separate guide they have a link to at the beginning of the settings. If you really want to understand how it all works, read that information.

In essence, these settings indicate when TeslaFi should stop calling the Tesla APIs and for how long. During that time, any activity would be missed which is why we try to limit those periods. At the same time, if you limit too much and constantly poll the car through the APIs, it cannot sleep. It's a tradeoff.
After that period where it stops polling, TeslaFi first calls an API that doesn't wake the car up and just tells if the car is awake or not. Only if it is still awake does TeslaFi call the other APIs that might wake it up. OTherwise it keeps calling that single API function that tells if the car is awake or not and will resume polling when it says "awake". That's how every app must do it, it's all they can do with the current APIs.

Thanks some of the information posted on their website is not as intuitive as it should be for someone who view/experience this setting maybe once a month.

I also noticed your deep sleep is not "enable" is that correct?

Also noting that I am on "2021.36.5.5" as I was researching around that each software affects the way Teslafi polls the car.

Nope, I don't believe the car software influences how TeslaFi polls. Here's how it works: TeslaFi (or any other app, including the Tesla mobile app on your phone) calls REST apis. These are calls to a web service that Tesla host somewhere, a machine in the cloud. That web service is in communication with the car through the car's LTE connection (or wifi at home). TeslaFi never talks to the car directly, it can't, it only goes through the REST apis.

The car doesn't have different sleep modes, deep sleep is an invention of TeslaFi. If you read the explanation, it is a tool to force TeslaFi to stop polling during specific hours, except for charging events programmed in TeslaFi. I am instead using the Night Time sleep mode which pretty much does the same in the night. Even that would be optional as long as the other settings are good.

I understand it's not obvious for someone that's not in web software development, that's why the recommendation is to leave at default values. OR some people recommend not using TeslaFi, spreading rumors that it systematically keeps the car awake. With the curent REST api that Tesla offer (and they don't even document it, it's not public, it's for the Tesla mobile app and it was reverse-engineered by some people), it's not possible to do a much better job I think. It will stay complicated and error-prone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Im on new FW and mine sleeps on teslafi.
Not set deep sleep no issues.
I set both 15 mins to sleep.

Other apps mess as well so I have no other than tesla app.

Some times the tesla app stops and I cant get in the car..... or it does not lock the car.

Yes, ABRP also wakes the car when you open the app, if you have linked it to your Tesla account. It does call the API to get information about your personal consumption. That is a good point. My impression is that this only happens when you open the ABRP app though.

Yes, ABRP also wakes the car when you open the app, if you have linked it to your Tesla account. It does call the API to get information about your personal consumption. That is a good point. My impression is that this only happens when you open the ABRP app though.

Yes, only when you're using the ABRP app or website. For example, if you're doing route planning for a trip it will wake up your car if you've opted to link to your Tesla account. I still recommend linking your account as you can monitor actual to plan while you're driving which I find very useful.