Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parasitic draw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only had my 23 MXLR for less than a month. The car uses a lot of power when parked in our garage 7.5% a day (24 hr) thats like 24 miles a day, or 1 mile an hour when parked in our garage. From 100% to 0% in 13.33 days (about 2 weeks), without driving it. I have set it to not lock and no sentry mode when at home. Our 22 MYP I have not noticed that much of a draw, maybe 2 – 3% a day, if that. How can I put the MXLR in sleep mode or something to save the battery when at home? I do notice that the app says the phone key is connected most of the time when I'm at home. How I noticed was charged to 80% then two days later went to drive and the battery was at 65%, not so scientific could have opened the doors a couple of times in that 48 hours. The cabin overheat was on but only 55 degrees here in my garage this time of year.

Thanks

Last edited:
I've only had my 23 MXLR for less than a month. The car uses a lot of power when parked in our garage 7.5% a day (24 hr) thats like 24 miles a day, or 1 mile an hour when parked in our garage. From 100% to 0% in 13.33 days (about 2 weeks), without driving it. I have set it to not lock and no sentry mode when at home. Our 22 MYP I have not noticed that much of a draw, maybe 2 – 3% a day, if that. How can I put the MXLR in sleep mode or something to save the battery when at home? I do notice that the app says the phone key is connected most of the time when I'm at home. How I noticed was charged to 80% then two days later went to drive and the battery was at 65%, not so scientific could have opened the doors a couple of times in that 48 hours. The cabin overheat was on but only 55 degrees here in my garage this time of year.

Thanks
Are you looking at the car in the app a lot? You must be if you say the phone key is connected most of the time.

If your phone key is connected, is where your phone normally would be when you are home very close to the car?

Looking at the app a lot or having the phone close to the car will keep the car from sleeping.

What does the energy app show is using the energy when parked?

Tesla recommends you keep your Tessie plugged in when not driving. That will eliminate phantom drain.

This is what my car showed after not being driven for more than a day and not being plugged in.

72409522250__3855AC12-4439-44B2-A209-4AA1E611BB81.jpg

Reactions: John in LB
Upvote 0
Yes my bedroom is above the garage and charge my phone there at night and the livingroom next tothe garage. Dont check the car that much when at home but do use the app to check on my wifes car to see if shes on the way home. Both cars are on the same app. I will check the energy app after it has set for a while. So the MXLR uses a lot more stand by power than the MYP more than three times as much. Thanks

Upvote 0
Yes my bedroom is above the garage and charge my phone there at night and the livingroom next tothe garage. Dont check the car that much when at home but do use the app to check on my wifes car to see if shes on the way home. Both cars are on the same app. I will check the energy app after it has set for a while. So the MXLR uses a lot more stand by power than the MYP more than three times as much. Thanks
Our X uses more than our 3 and it may use more than MYP, since the Y and 3 are about the same, but it should not use 7.5% in a day. Something is causing it not to sleep, perhaps the proximity of your phone to the car's location.

Upvote 0
Hi @Jsrconst ,

In line with what @Eric33432 said your car is not sleeping or cannot sleep…

Two suggestions while you explore the
situation…
Turn off Bluetooth while your phone charges in the evening.
Your Tesla app will complain that it’s better with Bluetooth on, but it’s not paying the energy bill and your car is too close to your phone.
With Bluetooth off you will still be able to use the Tesla app to see where your wife may be…
You will need to turn on Bluetooth to use the phone as a key…

My second suggestion would be to buy a Faraday bag or RFID blocking bag.
These will shield the car from Bluetooth and allow your car to rest or sleep.

Good luck,

Shawn

Upvote 0
I will turn off bluetooth and see if that helps. Will have to turn my wife's bluetooth off too.
The bluetooth on the 23 MX must be stronger or diffrent than what's in the 22 MY. They're in the same garage and the MY is even closer, we’ve had it for a couple years, and I don’t see the same issue with it.
It’s funny the MY bluetooth connects to my phone flawlessly, the MX can only connect to my phone if I unlock the phone and start Spotify app for it. It’s like going backwards in time.
I will let you know if it works.
Thanks

Upvote 0