Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slight Knocking in New Model S LR at Beginning of Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my new S on February 16 and counted myself lucky to get one that seems to be perfect in all aspects but one. At the very beginning of a ride, often when I'm basically coasting in my driveway or the parking garage, I hear a slight rattle/knock that sounds like what you would imagine it would sound like if one of the rear seats weren't totally latched and were knocking around.

Strangely, it only does this within the first few minutes and generally doesn't happen again anytime during the drive, even if I hit significant bumps.

Any ideas?

There is a big 2021+ model s refresh issues thread, take a look there. Noise from the rear seat back latch is a thing that has been identified. You can fold the seat down and see if it goes away. Otherwise it might help to have someone sit in the back and try to find the sound. Could be a lot of things, loose trim, etc.

Edit:

There is a big 2021+ model s refresh issues thread, take a look there. Noise from the rear seat back latch is a thing that has been identified. You can fold the seat down and see if it goes away. Otherwise it might help to have someone sit in the back and try to find the sound. Could be a lot of things, loose trim, etc.
Thanks. I'll take a look. Sorry about that.

Just added a link to that thread above. Good luck, car is so quiet that any little thing stands out for better or worse!
Thanks. Following that thread, I let down both of my back seats and the sound went away. Looks like I need to isolate it to one side or the other and put some tape or something around the latch to stop the vibration.

Thanks!