Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR AWD - Two Year Snapshot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A year ago I posted a one-year snapshot of my 2022 Long-Range AWD Model 3 ( Model 3 - One Year Later ).

Now, with a second trip around the sun, here are some updated stats.

Tesla Model 3, 2-Year Stats0.png

Est & Rated Range & Tire Pressure1.PNG

The most important thing is that this car remains an astonishing revelation. Anyone on the fence about buying a Tesla… should just do it! By far the most delightful automobile experience I have ever had.

Maintenance continues to be a dream compared to all of the many ICE cars I’ve owned. Like the first year, I refreshed the windshield washer fluid several times. For a lot of people, that would have been the end of the maintenance story.

Me, I had a bit of tire drama. Shortly after 21,000 miles, heading down my driveway one morning, my habitual glance at the TPMS as it awakened told me something was amiss. Stopping and backing back up, a careful examination of the suspect tire and a bit of spit revealed the reason: a nail in the sidewall junction. Over the next 24 hours that small nail brought home two important lessons: the tire repair kit I religiously carried was inadequate for the very rigid tires fitted to Tesla’s. And with my DIY option on hold, none of the local tire shops would repair the tire, given the location of the puncture.

All’s well that ends well, though. Amazon showed up a day later with the much improved repair kit I had ordered and soon enough I was able to fix the tire myself.

The story didn’t end there, though. A high percentage of tire punctures happen to worn tires. And that was true in my case. The Tesla Service Center had cautioned me months earlier to begin thinking about new tires when I had dropped by for my annual safety inspection. When the TPMS alerted me to that nail I quickly began making plans to to address that.

So, at 21,476 miles I had a new set of OEM All-Season Michelin’s installed. Most expensive set of tires I’ve ever put on a car. And the worst mileage. Definitely a cringeworthy moment.

That said, if expensive tires and poor tire life are the worst maintenance issues I ever have to deal with, I’ll take them!

Battery stats continue to remain good. The first year my nightly charge protocol was to bring the pack back to a nominal 62% SOC. For most of the second year I reduced that to 55%.

It’s easy to see the seasonal ebb and flow of efficiency, as ambient temps rise and fall. My efficiency took a hit around 11,000 miles heading into its first winter; and then again around 24,000 miles, as it headed into its second.

Likewise, Full Rated Range and battery degradation in general. The BMS will report slightly varying numbers, depending upon temperature and other conditions. I’ve seen Full Rated Range as low as 349 in cold temperatures. More typically it reports 350-351. Full Rated Range when new was 358 miles.

Same thing with Nominal Full Pack (NFP), as reported by SMT. The 78.1 kWh reported here is a probably a bit high. Just happened to be a happy couple of driving hours for the car yesterday, after which this two-year snapshot was taken.

As for battery degradation in general, there was a modest decline in pack capacity during the first year of ownership. That largely stabilized entering the car’s second year, and so far there has been little additional loss.

There were 20 software updates during the second year; for a total of 50 since picking up the car.

The Model 3 rocks!

Battery_Health2.jpeg

Efficiency_vs_Ambient_Temp3.PNG

Efficiency_vs_Odometer4.jpeg

MPGe vs Odometer5.jpeg

Max Range vs Others6.PNG

Last edited:
How do some people lose practically no range, I’m down 8% with the same miles at 29k
What is your charging pattern? Also have you tried varying your charge limit (so that your car sits at different percentage points to allow the BMS to take more accurate estimates)?

Here is the pattern of degradation in mine. Note the increase in estimated range towards the end. Initially I thought maybe it was a software change that caused it. It may just be that I changed my charge limit (from 70 to 60) and slight change in driving habits: the car sits for longer at Lower states of charge than it did before so it could be that the BMS is making more accurate estimates.

IMG_1684.png

What is your charging pattern? Also have you tried varying your charge limit (so that your car sits at different percentage points to allow the BMS to take more accurate estimates)?

Here is the pattern of degradation in mine. Note the increase in estimated range towards the end. Initially I thought maybe it was a software change that caused it. It may just be that I changed my charge limit (from 70 to 60) and slight change in driving habits: the car sits for longer at Lower states of charge than it did before so it could be that the BMS is making more accurate estimates.

View attachment 1024064
I’ll try that, I had been charging to 80% a day, the lowest my car has been sitting at is 50-60% that’s usually what I got home with then I start charging it, but I’ve started charging to 70% now in the last 2 days so I’m getting home with 40-50% now

Maybe I should try charging to 60, I use 25-30% a day though

Last edited:
How do some people lose practically no range, I’m down 8% with the same miles at 29k
Maybe you don't have 8% degradation? But if you follow all the complicated charts and graphs here you could save a percent or two. Or, you could keep enjoying your car. I have a 18 M3LR and get a solid 300 miles before I have to charge.
I simply follow the charge to 80% Tesla recommendation. But mostly I'm enjoying the car. :)

Reactions: El joe
Maybe you don't have 8% degradation? But if you follow all the complicated charts and graphs here you could save a percent or two. Or, you could keep enjoying your car. I have a 18 M3LR and get a solid 300 miles before I have to charge.
I simply follow the charge to 80% Tesla recommendation. But mostly I'm enjoying the car. :)
That’s what I’ve been doing the 80%, but recently started doing 70% after what I’ve read on this forum

Your car is 6 years old and has less range loss than mine at 1.5 years

Reactions: nicksp
That’s what I’ve been doing the 80%, but recently started doing 70% after what I’ve read on this forum

Your car is 6 years old and has less range loss than mine at 1.5 years
I get 300 miles on a single charge. I drive steady around 65mph mostly freeway. I'm extremely happy with that.
If I calculate the actual degradation it could be 10%. But with an EV you could do slight variations in your driving habits and get a little more range.
After I fully charge my car it shows about 300-303. Highest I saw was 306. If I drove at a constant 75mph it could go down. I have the 18 aeros if that helps.
Point being you could get lost in all the graphs charts and scheduling percentages and only come out slightly ahead instead of actually enjoying your car.

I get 300 miles on a single charge. I drive steady around 65mph mostly freeway. I'm extremely happy with that.
If I calculate the actual degradation it could be 10%. But with an EV you could do slight variations in your driving habits and get a little more range.
After I fully charge my car it shows about 300-303. Highest I saw was 306. If I drove at a constant 75mph it could go down. I have the 18 aeros if that helps.
Point being you could get lost in all the graphs charts and scheduling percentages and only come out slightly ahead instead of actually enjoying your car.
I don’t mind losing range I knew that was going to happen, it just bothers me when cars 3X older than mine have less range loss lol

Makes me think im doing something wrong or there’s something wrong with my battery

I don't get into the complicated stuff much. All I know is that my car indicates about 176 - 177 or so miles on my daily charge to 50%. Double that for 352 - 354 miles at 100%; if that kind of a calculation is even valid, I don't know. Most of the time I just drive the car and enjoy it.

Reactions: nicksp
I don’t mind losing range I knew that was going to happen, it just bothers me when cars 3X older than mine have less range loss lol

Makes me think im doing something wrong or there’s something wrong with my battery
I hear it. I'm coming up on 2 years in May with my M3LR. Charged to 100% yesterday before a longer than normal drive and showed max range of 326m. A slap in the face. Most of the time I cycle between 35-20% and have recently been doing 45-35%. I'm hoping the BMS just needs some looks at higher % SoC to adjust. We'll see.

I hear it. I'm coming up on 2 years in May with my M3LR. Charged to 100% yesterday before a longer than normal drive and showed max range of 326m. A slap in the face. Most of the time I cycle between 35-20% and have recently been doing 45-35%. I'm hoping the BMS just needs some looks at higher % SoC to adjust. We'll see.
Your loss is around where I’m at then similar age, mine is also 2 years old in May

Last edited:
Is that the LFP battery?

My 2020 M3P is at 94k miles now.
As I got it new it showed 499 km (310 miles) when I slid the charging limit to 100%.
Now I can't seem to find a way to visualise that. Even if I set to show my range in mi instead of percentage, sliding the charging limit up and down doesn't show a distance value any longer.
If I do a quick calculation, I'd say I'm down all the way to 450 km (280 miles).
I think that is quite appalling, especially based on what I am reading in this short thread.

View attachment 1024064
Sorry to be a dummy, but how do you print out this information?