TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Slow to finish loading pages

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by ggr, Jul 17, 2018.

1. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29, M3P 80k

This morning I've been observing a strange behavior, which makes browsing painful. When I load a thread, it looks like the content has finished loading, but it doesn't scroll to the most recent unread post straight away. Also (Chrome on a Mac) the little TMC icon on the tab shows up as a blank page for a while. At first I couldn't understand why the forum pages loaded quickly but the threads wouldn't, but that was a red herring; the forum pages don't finish loading for a while either. The difference is that with the forum pages, nothing happens visually when the page finishes loading, while for individual threads, the scrolling to the first unread post doesn't happen until the end.

A bit more research shows that some chunk of javascript somewhere is trying to establish a secure connection to somewhere else, and it takes ~13 seconds to either succeed or fail and timeout, not sure which. Unfortunately I can't tell which. I also can't find a way to figure out what . I think it's in javascript because the Chrome "I'm still loading" spinner has gone away for all of that 13 seconds.

Actually, learning a bit more about modern browser stuff (I still use vi to edit html, myself...) I tracked it to:
    importScripts('https://cdn.onesignal.com/sdks/OneSignalSDK.js');
    @doug @danny

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

I've noticed this lately as well. On my home PC, pages used to load instantly but now some are really dragging.

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I was noticing that all the plugins seem to slow it down (twitter, facebook, etc.) depending on random times of the week. It's definitely educational to watch the bottom of your browser (at least Firefox) to see what it's loading (or trying to) as it processes a page. :D

4. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018

Same issue here.

5. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29, M3P 80k

Interesting... I stopped seeing it around 14:00, but you're still seeing it? I assumed they fixed it.

6. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018

It’s ok on my browser now.