Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smaller Charging Setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One weekend morning, I saw a short mention of some 'roll-up' solar panels that were being tested for charging EV's that were on camping trips. I believe this was being done somewhere in Australia. I haven't seen anything else about it since then.

Now I personally don't drive my car a lot and have a level 2 setup in my garage, which is more than adequate for my needs. I was wondering if ANYBODY out there makes any kind of unit that would have only one or two solar panels and a smaller battery with the proper electronics to use just for charging your car? That way you could be completely independent of the grid. I live in an area where we have a lot of sunshine.

I have seen some setups similar to this idea, but they only provide 12 volts. Maybe there are others that do have an 120 volt output, but I just haven't seen them. I am NOT looking to put the whole solar panel thing on most of my roof, for my own personal reasons. Has anybody here seen what I am talking about?

“One or two solar panels”, even full-sized ~ 3 foot x 5 foot roof sized panels, are going to generate about 300-800 watts in ideal conditions. That’s about 1-2 miles per hour, probably less after the DC-AC-DC conversion that would be required to feed it to the car. A charging Tesla consumes about 250-300 watts while charging just to power the computers and charging circuitry, before any juice at all goes into the battery.

Then as you point out you’d need a somewhat substantial inverter or microinverters to get to 120 or 240v AC, and then some coupled battery storage.

This just isn’t an economical prospect. The cost of such a system in relation to the benefit would make for an extremely small potential market.