Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standalone PW2 startup and trickle charge, possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently picked up a used Powerwall 2 and Gateway 2 for a great price. My overall goal is to install it onto my existing 12kw solar array setup grid-tied system.

But first, the PW2 I picked up has not been plugged in for some time, unknown how long. I am fully prepared for it to be bricked - as I have read about here. But figured I would give it a shot. Before I do a full install into my 200 amp load center and rewire/permit/etc. I would like to read the current SOC from the Gateway, and try to trickle charge to see if it will take charge. Is there an optimal way to accomplish this?

I know I can wake the Gateway up with a 12v on the "jump" leads without hooking it up to power, is this sufficient to get info from the PW2? If the PW2 is at 0% SOC is there a way to trickle charge it via the internal panelboard and hook it up to a few solar panels?

I have seen the Mobile Powerwall Setup video, but does someone have a wiring diagram of this setup? Do they utilize the Gateway 2 internal Panelboard for solar input as well as putting a load (the light) on the setup?

Or would it ultimately be easier to just install it as a standard system and roll the dice that it may not take a charge? If the PW2 won't charge or communicate it is ok to leave the Gateway 2 hooked up without a powerwall?

Any thoughts are helpful. I have wired/permitted/signed off my house fully on my own, as well my solar setup. So I am well-versed in codes, system design, and wiring. But new to ESS - and seems relatively straightforward besides the system registration on the Tesla side to add it to my app.