Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow impact on range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning driving my 60D to ski. I have been on same trip several times, every time I get back home with about 20% battery left. But tomorrow there will be snow on the road, havn't have any experience on driving on snow conditions. do you think my 60D can get back home with this snow condition?

The trip to the ski area is up hill, I usually get there with 40% battery left, and use anoth 20% to get home.

Interesting you should mention this. Am going skiing tomorrow myself. This will be my 4th trip in as many weeks so I already have an idea how many kwhs used for the trip to/from on dry and wet pavement. I'll report back tomorrow night after the drive, I expect the road to be snow/ice covered and like you am interested in seeing if there is a noticeable difference.

I am planning driving my 60D to ski. I have been on same trip several times, every time I get back home with about 20% battery left. But tomorrow there will be snow on the road, havn't have any experience on driving on snow conditions. do you think my 60D can get back home with this snow condition?

The trip to the ski area is up hill, I usually get there with 40% battery left, and use anoth 20% to get home.
you'd be wise to find a place to charge for the return trip, the snow could take around 20% of your range

Reactions: ChadS
Snow does take up quite some range in my RWD P85+, usually 30% less overall but in my case I usually don't slow down or try to save on energy (with the bigger battery). I would suggest having a plan b to charge.. maybe using 110v while skiing to slightly charge the battery and keep it warm? Heating the battery usually takes up a lot of energy.

• Helpful
Reactions: ChadS and Falkirk
You are (hopefully) back by now.

In addition to the other factors which reduce range in snow, IME you need to watch out for snow buildup in the wheel arches - that's a great way to make the car work harder and the limited clearance means it builds really easily. Hope you made it back with no issues.

yes, I am back. There were about 40 miles total snowy road come and back. The snow is packed and, there were snow trucks keep cleaning the row. since a lot people went for ski, the road is busy, so drove much slower and ends up using same amount the energy back home.

I have a feeling that if the snow is powder on the road, I may end us using much more energy, but I can't prove that.

I really like the regen braking on snow, it's much safer than the normal brake. The car start slip right after I engaged the normal brake when I try to do a full stop. The regen braking is more like to switch to lower gear to slow the speed on ICE car.

Reactions: Nick B