Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow tire dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Northern IN, so snow tires can be nice.

my complication is I often spend the month of Jan in Florida. Have had an ICE car for previous years, this years want to drive my Tesla down.

Would be like 4 swaps:
Nov Snow tires
Dec Summer tires
Feb Snow tires
March Summer tires

Too many swaps? Do I just all season it?

I currently have 19” all seasons that came stock.

not against swapping myself but I would need to find a Tesla compatible jack.

I’m in your shoes every year, on the other side of the 0 meridian.
As a Norwegian/Swedish dual citizen, currently living in southern Sweden, I travel a lot between green winter in Scania and 10 inches+ snow in Norway.
Until a few years ago, I used to change to studded tires before my trip northbound, but nowadays the studless tires are so well behaved on both snow and ice, so now I only change twice a year (summer/winter).
Use chill mode, low regen, and drive carefully on icy conditions, and you should be ok.
I use Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 as wintersetup and P Zero during summer, and I believe that’s the standard setup on Scandinavian deliveries of Model Y.
Disclaimer: I have no experience on (Winter) driving the Model Y, as it hasn’t been delivered to me yet, but I have plenty of experience on both Model X and 3

Last edited:
Reactions: MrTuna
My suggestion is the Nokian WR G4 tires that I have been running here in Portland/Mt Hood for the past several years. I have had them on year around and got 40-50,000 miles per set on my Acura RDX and they are a winter rated tire with a reasonable tread life warranty. Not the best summer or winter but they are pretty good for both. That said, I am considering a dedicated set of winter wheels for my MY.

You can try an all weather tires (different than all season), the Nokian WRG4s are really good in the snow but can be used year round as they are an all weather tire and not a full snow (they do have the snowflake rating though) Our local police department (Im in New Hampshire) uses them to avoid having to swap to snow tires in winter.