Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to replace my all season and snow tires , what are folks using in Canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently running Michelin X-ice for snows and Vredstein Quattro Pro rest of the year. Separate set of wheels for each.
When I removed my snows off this week my mechanic told me the snows are at 7 and the all seasons at 5. As I live in Ottawa where we get real winter still, I think I need to buy two new sets of tires.
I was thinking of getting the Michelin cross climate or Pilot Sport AS as my summer set up and probably another set of X ice as they lasted well for 4 winters.
What do you folks like please?

Currently running Michelin X-ice for snows and Vredstein Quattro Pro rest of the year. Separate set of wheels for each.
When I removed my snows off this week my mechanic told me the snows are at 7 and the all seasons at 5. As I live in Ottawa where we get real winter still, I think I need to buy two new sets of tires.
I was thinking of getting the Michelin cross climate or Pilot Sport AS as my summer set up and probably another set of X ice as they lasted well for 4 winters.
What do you folks like please?
Nokian One for all seasons; 130,000km tread warranty, quiet, attractive price, better rim protection than factory Michelins. Nokian Hakka's for winter.

Wow, a garage queen😁. Wish I had that low kms..
You would think but it drive it a lot, just not that far. I’m retired so it’s driving to upstate NY every summer, Montreal several times a year and some other trips. We have two cars and occasionally take my wife’s new Subaru, too. When you don’t have carpool and an office to drive to, this is one of the perks. 😀

Michelin X Ice 235 55 18. Hold up great in snow and pooling water, and are a very comfortable daily driver on my freeway commute. Highly recommend them.

Attachments

• 20231121_082743.jpg
    20231121_082743.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 27
X-Ice for the Model S.

Nokian Hakka EV for the Taycan.

I’ve used several other brands and while I do think the Nokians slightly outperform the Michelin’s I’d rate them 1 and 1A. Can’t go wrong with either (if you can find the Nokians to fit your car).

I just changed over from the OEM 20" Induction wheels to these 18'x10.5" forged Martian MW05 wheels. Very light and strong, and look great IMO. I have 295/45/18 Toyo Proxes ST3s and they're dollar for dollar a great bet. Great all season handling in wet spring/fall/summer. A 112 XL load rating. 500 treadwear rating. And not going to cost you a few grand to replace the set every few.years. i am generally a Michelin and Continental driver, but I gave these a hard look and have no regrets so far. And I shedded around 7 lbs in each corner in unsprung weight. No pothole anxiety, no wheel damage or curb rash, and no sore bones. And no fitment, rubbing or significant speedo issues. I marvel at the number of folks who swear by 20 plus inch wheels. And shudder to go below 19. Really worth a look, IMO. Good luck.

Attachments

• 20240316_124203.jpg
    20240316_124203.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Biscuitman
I have Nokian One tires for 'all-season' (minus winter) use on our 2020 Model 3 LR. A much better tire than the OEM Michelin Primicy MXM4, I think the Nokian Ones are right up there with the best you can get for a Model 3. A 'strong' recommendation on my part.

For winter I have Yokohoma BluEarth V905 tires. They are just finishing their 4th winter and have been pretty good. Depending on what the garage says about wear, I may keep them for another year. I have no specific complaints about them, and would give them a 'basic' recommendation. When it comes time to replace the Yokohamas, I may or may not go with the same thing for winter - I am considering my options.

Reactions: Biscuitman
I have Nokian One tires for 'all-season' (minus winter) use on our 2020 Model 3 LR. A much better tire than the OEM Michelin Primicy MXM4, I think the Nokian Ones are right up there with the best you can get for a Model 3. A 'strong' recommendation on my part.

For winter I have Yokohoma BluEarth V905 tires. They are just finishing their 4th winter and have been pretty good. Depending on what the garage says about wear, I may keep them for another year. I have no specific complaints about them, and would give them a 'basic' recommendation. When it comes time to replace the Yokohamas, I may or may not go with the same thing for winter - I am considering my options.
Looked at the Nokian Ones and was told they have a lower sped rating then recommended by Tesla. Was this a concern for you?

It is true that the Nokian One is speed rated under the OEM tires for the Model 3 LR. But it is only a slight difference. The OEM rating is W while the Nokian One is rated V - a single notch below. The V vs W rating should not matter unless you are planning to do track trials because in ordinary driving you will not be going anywhere near W or V speeds (240 km/h (V), 270 km/h (W)). Or at least I certainly hope you will no be driving those speeds on public roads!! :) Some tire installers might initially give you some grief on this issue, but mine did not.

Agree about the speed rating.

KAL tire's website won't recommend an "All-weather" 235 45r18 98 V for my M3LR, and no 98 W "All-weather's" in that size exist on their website, but three 98 Vs do.

So you have to persuade them to go with a 98 V. Currently running Michelin CrossClimates 98 V in that size. But the new Nokian Remedy WRG5 also looks nice.

BTW, there's also a 94 V Firestone in that size, but I would be much more hesitant about dropping the weight rating.

The whole issue of tire speed ratings seems pretty murky. For the current model year, the Tesla website says that the top speed for the Model 3 is 201km/hr. And if you do a search for winter tires for a Model 3, at least some of the websites show tires with T or even H speed ratings (well below the OEM tire ratings). In any event Kal Tire seemed quite happy to suggest the Nokian One tires with the V rating were acceptable for our Model 3 (and may have even said that there were a popular choice among Model 3 owners).

Reactions: brulaz