Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So many mixed answers - Electrical requirements for installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually i come across a thread here that an electrician went to a house to do the installation and the home owner charged the EV that night and the breaker tripped three times in a row... lol

I don’t think it get inspected.

I don’t think the wire has proper gauge to handle the load

I don’t think the electrician know EV charge is considered continuous load

Sounds like they weren't a proper licensed electrician. Great way to burn down your house to save a few $$. Or worse get electrocuted from a shoddy job.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
It the load calculation is that close then I think you have the ability to ask them to calculate the actual usage based on your electricity bill ... or at least that's what the electricians that installed mine told me was possible in those situations. I already had a 200A panel and service coming in but was close to using that up as well (big house, lots of appliances, hot tub, etc). I would ask for a second opinion from another electrical contractor and specifically tell them what the issue is and see if they know anything about using the usage averages instead of the straight load calculator.

It the load calculation is that close then I think you have the ability to ask them to calculate the actual usage based on your electricity bill ... or at least that's what the electricians that installed mine told me was possible in those situations. I already had a 200A panel and service coming in but was close to using that up as well (big house, lots of appliances, hot tub, etc). I would ask for a second opinion from another electrical contractor and specifically tell them what the issue is and see if they know anything about using the usage averages instead of the straight load calculator.

Yes, you can show them the last 3 or 4 months of utility bills. Remember, the inspector is not there to give you a hard time, he wants to make sure everything is done according to codes and the house is SAFE.

For those interested, here is the relevant section from the Ontario Electrical Safety Authority: Electric Vehicle Charging Stations - EsaSafe

Requirements
  • The installer shall take out a permit (also called an Application for Inspection) with the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) prior to starting the installation. Contact ESA at 1-877-ESA-SAFE (372-7233).
  • Installation shall be in compliance with the Ontario Electrical Safety Code (the Code), specifically Section 86 – Electrical Vehicles Charging Systems. (ESA will be issuing a bulletin about EV charging station requirements shortly.)
    • If only an outlet and associated equipment (breaker and wiring) are required, fee code R078 applies. There will be a charge for any additional outlet or charger.
    • If a new panel or service is required, the corresponding permit fees will apply.
  • Installation is required to be done by a Licensed Electrical Contractor (LEC)
    • If a Local Distribution Company (LDC) or its affiliate is doing the installation, the LDC or its affiliate is required to hold an electrical contracting licence through ECRA/ESA and take out a permit for the installation.
  • Equipment shall be certified for use in Canada by a nationally recognized certification agency – CSA, cUL, cETL or display other certification marks approved by ESA.
  • A Certificate of Inspection will be issued by ESA once the installation is in compliance with the Code.

My take is that people who do this themselves are probably violating their home insurance policy. Unless they have an ESA sign-off on their installation. For a light bulb or basic fixture I wouldn't be too worried. These are low current devices. For a vehicle that can potentially draw 48A, you should be much more careful.
This is so helpful. Thank you so much. Cheers!