Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

32amp Vs 48amp?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats what I was saying up thread. There are very few circumstances where something like this would make sense other than "because I want it". If you are trying to find some other reason that makes sense, you probably wont find one.

You dont have a time of use electricity plan where you only get the lowest rates between midnight ant 6am.

It does not appear you have limited time at home to charge or share your charger with a bunch of other people where an extra 8-15 miles per hour would make a difference.

It does not appear you have a job where you drive a ton during the day AND go back home for charging.

You already have a 32amp circuit

You already have 2 mobile adapters

There isnt a single thing other than "I want it" that is going to make this make any kind of sense to do at all.
Agreed. Thank you

Understood. I guess I need to first find out if he put in a 60amp plug or 50amp plug.
It does look cooler but the truth is that’s not really the driving force behind getting it.
The driving force is it will be faster. But if I only have a 50 amp plug I agree it won’t be worth it.

How much of a difference is 32am vs 48amp as far as time is concerned?
I've charged at 40A or lower for 13+ years with a Tesla and it's never been an issue for me at least. Especially with so many Superchargers in the area on the off chance you misjudged and needed a much faster charge, you likely can get it. I'd just keep using your mobile cable maybe until it breaks. Then if you want to upgrade, do it then.

But as others pointed out, wall connector looks nicer, you can keep the mobile cable in your car for backup, and is slightly faster but you'll basically never run into a situation where the 8A difference will make any practical difference. When the cars could charge at 80A, that cut it down to 4 hours for a full charge but Tesla has dialed back the home charging rate since then.

Reactions: 100d
The other scenario where a wall charger might make more sense than a mobile charger is if you have two EVs. You could install two, powershare them, and just plug in both cars whenever without thinking and rest assured that you will always have two fully charged cars the next AM when you wakeup. I'm not aware of another seamless way of doing this with a 220V plug and two mobile chargers.

The last side benefit of a wall charger over a mobile charger is the slightly longer reach/cable to plug in a car parked farther away (24ft vs 20ft).

Reactions: 100d