Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SoCal --> Merced --> Yosemite, tips needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a trip to yosemite national park from SoCal at the end of July. I was going to do a full charge at the Fresno supercharger, swing up to Merced to pick up a friend, and then take the 140 towards Mariposa. My question is, will a full range charge in Fresno in my 85D be enough to get me to Mariposa, stay o/n, continue on to Yosemite valley via the 140, and then repeat that in reverse without any destination charging? I know there is a supercharger at the Tenaya lodge in Fish Camp, but would prefer to avoid the detour if possible. Also, I'm afraid that the destination EV chargers in Yosemite will be occupied given the busy season.

Thanks for any advice/tips in advance!

There is a HPWC at the Ahwahnee, er, Majestic Hotel and, I believe a J1772 next to it. I am not sure of the amperage. There is also a 30A J1772 by the store.

You might consider seeing if you can grab an hour's charge while enjoying some time at the hotel that evening if you want to be extra safe.

And, Fan, the Fish Camp Supercharger is a lengthy detour from Yosemite Valley to Merced. Fish Camp is right outside the southern Park boundary on highway 41 to Fresno, while Merced is mostly due west of Yosemite Valley on highway 140. He would have to drive south to Oakhurst, then north on 49 back to Mariposa to return to Merced.

the Fish Camp Supercharger is a lengthy detour from Yosemite Valley to Merced
Thank you, I am aware, as I have spend days in Fish Camp in a rental house, had several stays at Tenaya Lodge, and also stayed in the Oakhurst area multiple times. And it's a lovely drive from the souther gate into Yosemite to the Valley. I was just making a suggestion.

eyespii,

Unfortunately there is really no convenient place to charge at this time in Mariposa. There is a 14-50 at the fairgrounds which can be use by prior appointment, but it is a ways out of town with no restaurants, etc. in easy walking distance. I have charged more than one Tesla visiting Yosemite via 140 in my garage, which is not too far from 140, and that might be an option for you. I only have a 14-50 available.

I'm still hoping for a mariposa Supercharger that is my favorite way to get into the valley. From Merced both grovel and and fish camp are a bit out of the way.
I've always had good luck getting a charger in the valley even on weekends. At the Awahanee the j1772 is low amps I think 15amp but the HPWC is fast. J1772 at the store is 30. Charged in the valley about 5-8 times and mostly got the HPWC, once used the j1772 at the store on a weekend.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

EVtripplanner says that this roundtrip driving segment is 252 miles, and will use 222 RM with an avg efficiency 264 wh/mi. Doesn't take into account vampire drain overnight in mariposa though. Would be cutting it really close...

Worst case though is if the chargers in yosemite valley are taken/down, I'll take the long way back to Mariposa and then Merced via the fish camp supercharger.

McManX, Two years ago the Mariposa County passed a resolution offering three potential Supercharger sites and applied for a SC via the normal channels. (My wife is a County Supervisor and our MS is in the Government Center parking lot most days.) We thought the since 140 is central and can be accessed from the South and the North, plus being the all weather highway that follows the Wild and Scenic Merced River with no unnecessary elevation gains, it would be the ideal location of a SC on the way to Yosemite. We checked a year later and we were on the list for the following year, but then Fish Camp and Groveland happened and when we asked again were told that there were enough SCs in the area now. Mariposa has lots of good places to eat (not chain restaurants), but no good place to charge, not even destination chargers at the motels. Our Chamber is working on the latter, but in the high season, every motel is booked anyway. Good thing we can charge at home!

• Informative
Reactions: eyespii and McManX
McManX, Two years ago the Mariposa County passed a resolution offering three potential Supercharger sites and applied for a SC via the normal channels. (My wife is a County Supervisor and our MS is in the Government Center parking lot most days.) We thought the since 140 is central and can be accessed from the South and the North, plus being the all weather highway that follows the Wild and Scenic Merced River with no unnecessary elevation gains, it would be the ideal location of a SC on the way to Yosemite. We checked a year later and we were on the list for the following year, but then Fish Camp and Groveland happened and when we asked again were told that there were enough SCs in the area now. Mariposa has lots of good places to eat (not chain restaurants), but no good place to charge, not even destination chargers at the motels. Our Chamber is working on the latter, but in the high season, every motel is booked anyway. Good thing we can charge at home!
Good to know! I still think mariposa could use a SC, then Yosemite would be complete from the west. Just need Whoa Nellie on the east. Hopefully once the model 3 comes they will reconsider.